A rustproof chassis

Thunder

Threads
I have a suggestion for all
When purchasing a new lawn-mower, be it push, self-propelled, riding, etc., go to your local auto supply shop and pick up two or three cans of auto undercoating.Before putting gasoline or oil into the lawn mower, turn it over and spray the undercarriage with the undercoating. Let it dry, then apply a second coat ... and then a third... It is like a "tar" film, that completely covers the undercarriage and when cutting grass, rocks and other items that hit the undercarriage, do not chip away the paint.
I have done this to a lawn mower that I purchased over 12 years ago, and it has no rust on the chassis.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 15

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a suggestion for all
When purchasing a new lawn-mower, be it push, self-propelled, riding, etc., go to your local auto supply shop and pick up two or three cans of auto undercoating.Before putting gasoline or oil into the lawn mower, turn it over and spray the undercarriage with the undercoating. Let it dry, then apply a second coat ... and then a third... It is like a "tar" film, that completely covers the undercarriage and when cutting grass, rocks and other items that hit the undercarriage, do not chip away the paint.
I have done this to a lawn mower that I purchased over 12 years ago, and it has no rust on the chassis.

Good idea, but I tried it with my first new mower back in '83 and the grass absorbed a lot of moisture and after a while the coating wore off. For what it is worth, I still have a steel mower deck that was new in '87 and it still has a good amount of steel left, by the time it rusts thru I will be long gone.