!988 12hp Biggs wire connection.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes, that is a repair part for the dual stator.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When the diode fails, it can just stop working or get hot enough to melt the wires or even pop a hole in the wire .
So at a rough guess this is what has happened & the DPO has cut the section out and just carried on using the mower as the alternator is not needed except to recharge the battery.
If the mower is in good tune you get better than 100 starts from a good mower battery, more than enough to mow the grass then pop the charger on between uses.
There are several customers in my clientele who do just that and even more who jump start of their car because they are too tight to fork out the $ 100 ( aus ) for a new battery .

Richie F

Threads
Thank you both for your answers.

Richie F

Threads
OK I bit the bullet and bought a used stator from a lawn mower dealer that sells new and used equipment and parts out others.
The charging system is 3 amp for this machine.
The fuse for the charging system is 7.5 amp in it now.
I have seen diagrams that look like the fuse should be 20 amp.
Am I looking to deep into this ?
Thanks.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Posts in this thread have 'live links' in them. Be careful what you click on.

Richie F

Threads
OK installed a used good known stator and everything is like new.
Again thanks for everybody's help in this.

Telesis

Threads
StarTech... earlier you posted a diode recommendation. That diode is undersized for this application. The dual circuit alternator uses a 6amp 200PIV diode in the harness as it is intended to charge the battery at 2-4 amps DC. The diode you spec'd is only rated for 3 amps continuous forward current. Something like a Vishay GI752 can handle the required current and is a 6a 200PIV diode.

FYI