928D grasshopper

173abn

Threads
hope somebody can help me ,my 928d is designed so that you can get off the mower while running if you shut off the pto and put the steering arms in neutral.all worked fine until the other day while mowing and I stopped to pick up a limb,putting the mower in neutral I heard a grinding noise back by the starter.I looked back and saw sparking every time I put the steering arms in neutral and thinking I had a short I looked closer and saw the starter bendix engaging every time I put the arms in neutral.whats really strange is I can start it up mow etc. and everything works great but if I put it in neutral it grinds.the starter itself don't seem to be engerized just the gear that moves the flywheel.I looked at the left and right steering switches and checked for shorts in the wire but came up empty.it's got me stumped and I'm hopeing someone with a whole lot more knowledge about these things can help. thanks russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would appear your problem is in the start circuit... start at the starter solenoid and work your way back to the starter switch. You will come up with the problem... At some point you are getting 12 volts applied to that wiring.
Don't continue allowing this to happen. It will cause permanent damage to the starter, Bendix and flywheel ring gear. KennyV

173abn

Threads
thanks KennyV I'll check it out tomorrow. russ

173abn

Threads
just an update KennyV,tore into the wire harness and found the wire from the starter to the starter switch had shorted out.replaced the wire and works great.needed to "tear" into a lot of things to find it but also "learned" alot about the inner workings along the way. thanks russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good go Russ,
I started taking things apart & putting them back together over 50 years ago... still doing it.
I do enjoy the different ways designers/engineers come up to accomplish their objectives. Some are a bit more eloquent than others and some can be modified to be more dependable or robust than original.
Everything has design limitations.

It is challenging & always fun to discover the less than obvious... KennyV:smile: