917.287462 Lawn Tractor will only stay running in the start position

Mark97213

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 917.287462 Lawn Tractor will only stay running in the start position
My Lawn Tractor 917287462 will start and run perfect... but only while holding the key in the run position. It will start right back up every time but quickly dies when I release the key from the start position to the run position. It was running fine until I pressure washed it... but the next day, I now have this problem. I don't see any water in the ignition system but I'm at a loss as to what I've caused. Does this symptom sound familiar to anyone?

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
You prob got moisture in the ignition switch, and spark plug boot, muffler ect. The switch needs to be thoroughly dried out. When washing the mowers engine always leave running. After drying out the switch start mower up and run at least 20 min to burn moisture off. If compressed air is available blow out switch where key goes, and back of switch where wires go. Once dried out your problems should go away. If compressed air isn't available spray wd40 inside switch where key goes, and back side where wires go. Be sure it completely drys out. Moisture causes terminal corrosion, and bad connections.

My Lawn Tractor 917287462 will start and run perfect... but only while holding the key in the run position. It will start right back up every time but quickly dies when I release the key from the start position to the run position. It was running fine until I pressure washed it... but the next day, I now have this problem. I don't see any water in the ignition system but I'm at a loss as to what I've caused. Does this symptom sound familiar to anyone?

Mark97213

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ahhh, that does sound like the issue, thank you very much, I'll give those a try and let you know how it turns out.