87 octane with ethanol OR 91 octane ethanol free

I don't remember what exactly it was, but ethanol seems right. But no where near as much as what is in today's gas.

And wow. Vapor lock. That brings back bad memories. My honeymoon, and what I later guessed was vapor lock. But as we drove southward and it was happening, I stopped to try and figure it out, and in cleaning myself up afterward, I removed my wedding ring to wash up, and left it in a gas station bathroom in South Carolina.

This site has shaken a lot of old memories from the cob webs of my brain.

By the way......Gulp! Are you still married? :smile:

Bruce
 
OK.... having read all the posts, I'm convinced that ethanol is not good for small engines, especially the newer ones.

So, if you don't have Ethanol-free fuel, what is the remedy....???

How many of those Ethanol fuel additives are snake oil....???

Which ones work wonders...???
 
Bruce- yes. 33 years, come August. And while it got replaced, lost again, and found(this time it just fell off my finger while sleeping, fell under bed), I don't wear it except for special events(parties, etc) because I work with machinery, and that's a good way to loose a finger.

Boudreaux- Sea Foam works.
 
Bruce- yes. 33 years, come August. And while it got replaced, lost again, and found(this time it just fell off my finger while sleeping, fell under bed), I don't wear it except for special events(parties, etc) because I work with machinery, and that's a good way to loose a finger.

Boudreaux- Sea Foam works.

At least losing your ring wasn't bad luck. My wife and I just hit 36 years in May...:confused2:
Bruce
 
Bruce- yes. 33 years, come August. And while it got replaced, lost again, and found(this time it just fell off my finger while sleeping, fell under bed), I don't wear it except for special events(parties, etc) because I work with machinery, and that's a good way to loose a finger.

Boudreaux- Sea Foam works.

I second sea foam. Works for everything
 
I second sea foam. Works for everything

I, too, am a Sea-Foam fan. I also use Chevron Techron for helping with deposits. Here in the NW, we don't have anything but 10% ethanol blend available at any place but airports, so we're stuck. I hate ethanol blended fuel, especially in small infrequently run applications, but there isn't much practical way around its use here.:frown:
 
I, too, am a Sea-Foam fan. I also use Chevron Techron for helping with deposits. Here in the NW, we don't have anything but 10% ethanol blend available at any place but airports, so we're stuck. I hate ethanol blended fuel, especially in small infrequently run applications, but there isn't much practical way around its use here.:frown:

check marina's ... Marvel Mystery Oil some use here in small amounts ...... I've used it to store boat fuel and even with ethanol I've never had an issue -20 yrs plus-. But , that is a v8 GM based marine engine with no smog and fuel water seperators. No idea with small engines I've never used it.

Old timers love it mix it in their coffee in the morning.
 
I, too, am a Sea-Foam fan. I also use Chevron Techron for helping with deposits. Here in the NW, we don't have anything but 10% ethanol blend available at any place but airports, so we're stuck. I hate ethanol blended fuel, especially in small infrequently run applications, but there isn't much practical way around its use here.:frown:

Where do you live in WA? Believe it or not, there are actually still a few stations besides those at airports that carry alcohol-free gas in our state. I just filled up both my pickup and all of my (as well as four other neighbors') OPE gas cans out at the Cenex station in Issaquah (right across the street from the XXX drive-in at the East end of town). I also know that some Conoco stations in Eastern WA carry alcohol-free gas, including one on Stevens Drive in Richland (where I grew up). And my truck gained 1.5mpg on the alcohol-free gas as well!

Check this website to see if there are any stations near you: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I have become painfully aware of how bad alcohol is for small engines this spring - I bought a 25' roll of 1/4" fuel hose to replace all of the hardened, cracked hoses (some only a few years old) on the equipment that I have been working on. It's murder on those expensive outboard motor fuel tank lines and primer squeeze bulbs as well! The primer bulb gets so hard that you can't even squeeze it.
 
Thanks for all of the advice guys. The only type of ethanol free gas I can get here in north Georgia is 87 octane. Don't know how that affects my 27 HP Kohler.
 
Where do you live in WA? Believe it or not, there are actually still a few stations besides those at airports that carry alcohol-free gas in our state. I just filled up both my pickup and all of my (as well as four other neighbors') OPE gas cans out at the Cenex station in Issaquah (right across the street from the XXX drive-in at the East end of town). I also know that some Conoco stations in Eastern WA carry alcohol-free gas, including one on Stevens Drive in Richland (where I grew up). And my truck gained 1.5mpg on the alcohol-free gas as well!

Check this website to see if there are any stations near you: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I have become painfully aware of how bad alcohol is for small engines this spring - I bought a 25' roll of 1/4" fuel hose to replace all of the hardened, cracked hoses (some only a few years old) on the equipment that I have been working on. It's murder on those expensive outboard motor fuel tank lines and primer squeeze bulbs as well! The primer bulb gets so hard that you can't even squeeze it.

I stand corrected. About 6 miles in the opposite direction of my normal route there is a station that sells 92 octane non ethanol fuel. I may be tempted to give it a whack sometime.:thumbsup: Thanks for the link. I'll be interested to see how much of uh, a premium:ashamed::laughing: they charge for it.
 
Back
Top