Engine 8237 won't start

Moran73

Threads
Have spark(observed on externally grounded plug),not getting fuel unless I choke it with a rag,new float, carb carefully cleaned. Will run for 5-10 seconds when choked with rag. Had been getting harder and harder to start but after started would run flawlessly for a half hour and even restart. Float bowl full when carb pulled. I've run out of options and would appreciate any help offered. Bob

robinb66

Threads
Try checking. Your crankcase for leaks might also check your reeds

Moran73

Threads
Thanks - my prime suspect is a plugged exhaust. Now if I could only get that tapered fit collar off to get to the muffler -

earthworm

Threads
Until yesterday, my plastic carburetored 8237 would not really start either. If I used ether, she run for 2 to 4 seconds, for the PO, she start and run at full bore, putting some hard hours on the poor old engine.
I "cleaned" the carburetor , but this helped not.
So I went to work on the governor - evidently, this MUST be right in order for starting to occur. Having little idea of what I was doing, I disassembled the governor assembly and reassembled..The settings were pure guesswork !
To my surprise, the LB started right up with one pull and 5 squeezes.
Its running is at 80-90%.
Now I have a holey deck, wobbly wheels , and worn out handle brackets to contend with. This must be one high mileage mower !
And, YES, a clogged exhaust will do in a two-stroke(and any engine for that matter), but poor high end running will also occur as well as hard starting and overheating !

Moran73

Threads
Glad yours is running again. On the advice of an old-timer experienced Lawn Boy repairer I decided to go after the exhaust ports. Got the blade and holders off with an impact wrench but could not get the collar with the square platform off. It's apparently a taper fit and you shouldn't use a puller because the plate will bend resulting in a wobbling blade or worse will separate from the collar. Took it to a Lawn Boy shop who told me it was likely to be destroyed on removal and since a new collar is only around $10 I'm awaiting destruction/eventual replacement ( after I clean the exhaust ports). Now my question for you is how do you "adjust" the governor which I always thought was just that blade that stood in the breeze and was just spring-loaded and not adjustable. If the governor was my problem all along I'm ready to have mixed feelings about the fix after my struggle with the blade collar. Bob

earthworm

Threads
I believe that the exhaust has to be cleaned every so often.....as part of preventative maintenance.
The 8237 gov. spring tension is adjustable, using the quarter sized ratchet wheel. And I can be done with the machine running.
Read the repair manual as I did...it is helpful.
I think the square hub can be pulled with a special gear puller and a vibrating air hammer..
This is how I disassembled the Saab drive axel...I did it sitting down and holding the joint and I vibrated off the shaft....its a tight fit, but no taper....so I really do not know if this would work.

Moran73

Threads
Wasn't much carbon in the exhaust port. I'm looking elsewhere for the culprit.