80's Snapper w/ 3HP Engine - Throttle Linkage

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
This is my late Dad's Snapper push mower from the 80's. I cleaned out the fuel tank and carb yesterday and got it running for the first time in 15 or more years. Only problem is lack of throttle control. It seems to be running all-out full throttle regardless of where I turn the selector. It feels like it would blow up if I just ran it this way for a length of time. The "STOP" selection does work - I realize that's just an ignition cut.

I feel like there's perhaps a linkage or spring that's missing. Anyone have some insight?

Attachments

• Snapper3HP.jpg
    Snapper3HP.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 23

Ocean909

Threads
This is my late Dad's Snapper push mower from the 80's. I cleaned out the fuel tank and carb yesterday and got it running for the first time in 15 or more years. Only problem is lack of throttle control. It seems to be running all-out full throttle regardless of where I turn the selector. It feels like it would blow up if I just ran it this way for a length of time. The "STOP" selection does work - I realize that's just an ignition cut.

I feel like there's perhaps a linkage or spring that's missing. Anyone have some insight?
I have the 3.5 horse version of this engine on my tiller. That knob is the throttle control. Here a pic of my linkage, hope it helps.

Attachments

• crop-linkage.jpg
    crop-linkage.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 23

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to your local repair shop and get these two parts. After you install them you should be able to adjust your speed control by bending the part where the spring on the right in the picture Ocean posted. #260878 &. #260877
1683844406748.png
1683844322584.png

Ocean909

Threads
Also might want to check under the shroud to see if the air vane governor is moving as it should

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cooling fins while you are at it. Remove the top engine cover and take several pictures. Post them up here.

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a pic with the shroud off so that you can get a more thorough look. I don't know what the thinking was with that bent linkage.

Attachments

• Snapper3HP-Uncovered.jpg
    Snapper3HP-Uncovered.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 30

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a pic with the shroud off so that you can get a more thorough look. I don't know what the thinking was with that bent linkage.
Not bad, starting to get plugged up. Clean all those cooling fins if you can. Make the block and fins clean as a new engine. Can't see under the cylinder. Most will have a pan like shroud that directs cooling air around the block. Usually one small screw holds it on. Remove that if your has one and clean under. Look behind the muffler and so on.

Now back to the linkage issue.

Ocean909

Threads
So if your air vane is moving freely and so are your throttle plates, my guess is your spring might be shot or the governor linkage is damaged. With the mower buttoned back up, you can manually move the linkages to see if you get a running speed. Just leave the screw in the carb throat, auto choke needs it there.
Long story short, order the parts Rivets said :)

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
Figured things out yesterday with some help from this thread . For some reason the linkage was bent such that it was made effectively longer than original. This kept the vane in one location, effectively removing the governor and throttle-control function. By bending the linkage back near it's original shape (Rivets pic above helped there), the vane and throttle were able to move as intended. I now have throttle control and can run the engine at a reasonable RPM. I went ahead and cut a patch of grass without issue - probably the first time the mower has seen use in 15 or more years!