7hp Intek with possible float issue

afoulk

Threads
I got my snapper with a 7hp Briggs Intek up and running a couple months ago. Previous owner said it wouldn't start and sat for a couple years before I looked at it. Anyways, I adjusted the valves and rebuilt the carb and it ran great. But then I noticed that if I ran it till it got hot and shut it off, it took 3 or 4 pulls to get started if it sat for a little while. Once it would catch, it would give a puff of black smoke. Also noticed that if I throttle it down to idle, it runs a little rough. I'm assuming my float needle is either sticking (I replaced that and the needle seat when I rebuilt the carb) or my float is bad and filling up with fuel. I have a troy bilt mower sitting around that I plan on using for parts, with an intek on it as well, but it has the panel style air filter on it where as my snapper has the oval type filter with foam pre filter. Are these carbs similar enough that the float from the troy bilt would work in my snapper? I remember the float in my snapper being plastic. Luckily, I installed a shut off valve on it when I replaced the fuel line, so its usuable for now, but I'd like to fix it before next spring.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Doubt that the float is filling with fuel, because it would never start or run. Are you priming or choking during hot starting, as this would also cause the symptoms you are talking about.

afoulk

Threads
This model does not have a choke, and I'm not using the primer when hot, only on the initial cold start, and even then it only takes 1 or 2 pumps of the primer to start on the first pull.

afoulk

Threads
I just assumed that it was a float issue since it seems to start ok when hot if I close the fuel shut off valve till I'm ready to start it again, but if I leave it open, thats when it takes about 4 pulls and gives off a puff of black smoke.