726CC FR691V using oil, rings?

100 td

Threads
726cc FR691V (651/691/730 FR/FS/FX) uses oil, anybody done a quick ring change and got away with it?
Only 240 hours, not particularly happy about it, have needed to adjust the valves every 80 hours to stop them rattling their heads off.
I'd like to think I could get away with a set of rings, but one pot is carboning the plug so could be some other damage. What's your rebuilding/inspection experience with these? I don't have a decent borescope but have a small scope I can have a bit of a look at the cylinder.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
726cc FR691V (651/691/730 FR/FS/FX) uses oil, anybody done a quick ring change and got away with it?
Only 240 hours, not particularly happy about it, have needed to adjust the valves every 80 hours to stop them rattling their heads off.
I'd like to think I could get away with a set of rings, but one pot is carboning the plug so could be some other damage. What's your rebuilding/inspection experience with these? I don't have a decent borescope but have a small scope I can have a bit of a look at the cylinder.
Kawasaki recommends adjusting valves every 300 hours.
Need to do a compression and leak down test before just throwing some piston rings on.
240 hours on a Kawasaki is nothing. On a well maintained Kawasaki you should be able to get around 2400 hours before needing rebuild (give or take). Take a minute and really start thinking about this before installing rings.

100 td

Threads
Kawasaki recommends adjusting valves every 300 hours.
Need to do a compression and leak down test before just throwing some piston rings on.
240 hours on a Kawasaki is nothing. On a well maintained Kawasaki you should be able to get around 2400 hours before needing rebuild (give or take). Take a minute and really start thinking about this before installing rings.
Thanks Tiger Small Engine Yes I'll investigate further before I consider rings, valve stem seals, oil rings, crankcase reed are a few things that come to mind.
Whilst they recommend 300 hours, the rattle was that bad at 80 hours I couldn't stand it, amazingly quiet after setting them, at 160 hours they were the same, and I did them at 228 whilst I was servicing, and quiet again.
I haven't checked guides for wear, perhaps they are flogged and the seals are knackered.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And don't rule out a blown head gasket as that can cause oil burning too.

Normally I don't see valve adjust changing a lot on any Kawasaki. Are sure you are torquing the adjustment locks back down to 87 in/lbs. No guessing, use a toque wrench. Hopefully the camshaft lobes are not wearing that much or you will need a new camshaft soon.

100 td

Threads

Normally I don't see valve adjust changing a lot on any Kawasaki. Are sure you are torquing the adjustment locks back down to 87 in/lbs. No guessing, use a toque wrench. Hopefully the camshaft lobes are not wearing that much or you will need a new camshaft soon.
Thanks StarTech I'm intimate with head gaskets blowing through as I own a 31 ci intek! But didn't really give it a thought as I didn't think these were susceptible but will see how the compression looks just in case. I couldn't believe the racket the valves were making at 80 hours, when 160 came around I knew it was time again. Yes I own 2 x inch/lb wrenches and will recheck when having another squiz at it, have put another 12 hard hours on and still quiet.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads

Kawasaki service manual says 97 Inch lbs. 15 ft lbs for bracket bolts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just make your torque wrenches are in calibration. I had several HFT wrench to lose their settings. A lot users of these don't know to return to zero when storing them. Personally I learned how to check my own wrenches calibration. A digital torque was a big help verifying that last two HFT wrench were off by 35%. Return them and just brought a better wrenches. The last 1/2 drive I brought is now off only by 1%. Well within the 2% spec.
Kawasaki service manual says 97 Inch lbs. 15 ft lbs for bracket bolts.
Hmmm my manual says different. It has it at 11 ft/lbs. Quite a bit difference between 180 in/lbs and 132 in/lbs.
1698668215591.png
L = non permanent Loctite (Blue)

Lawn Addict
Threads
My previous Kawasaki powered Toro needed valve lash adjust @ 79 hours, it was just one clicking..
Been fine since.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
they used to have an in warranty service at 30 hours, no labour charge just oil & filters
few ever bothered and dealers often said they did but didn't
part of that was checking valve lash, checking head bolts, checking engine bolts & changing oil & filter

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well that's what I do on my stuff.