7268A Lawnboy

OBONE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi fellow Lawnboy owners. I picked up a push mower model 7268 was running had been sitting for approx 5 years. I removed the carburetor gave it a cleaning reinstalled. Primer bulb was cracked , put a gas mixture into carb, it started. Fresh gas in tank with sea foam added, mower doesn't stay running.
A week later removed the carb again. Checked for spark, no spark. Got the coil, was rusted as well as the fly wheel, took extra fine Emery cloth seems ok. Test coil 4.5 ohms seems ok but ordered a new one. Installed new coil, gapped with credit card, no spark. Removed leads from on/off switch still no spark.
Magnets on fly wheel are working great, although they were rusted, but good now. Can anybody suggest what the problem is?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you removed the kill wire and still have no spark, the coil is bad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still say you’ve got a bad coil or mounted upside down.

OBONE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Original coil ohmed out at 4.5 changed it anyways to new coil ohms 3.6 still no spark. Could it be the flywheel. Magnets seem strong

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still say you’ve got a bad coil or mounted upside down. Today’s coils can not be tested like the old ones, your readings are for the secondary circuit only. Primary circuit is controlled by a Hall Effect trigger and can only be tested by a high priced piece of equipment. Is your new coil, just purchased or a different coil laying around? New coil part number should be 100-2949. In my 50+ years I’ve only had one time where the flywheel magnets were bad, it would surprise me if that were the problem.

OBONE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still say you’ve got a bad coil or mounted upside down. Today’s coils can not be tested like the old ones, your readings are for the secondary circuit only. Primary circuit is controlled by a Hall Effect trigger and can only be tested by a high priced piece of equipment. Is your new coil, just purchased or a different coil laying around? New coil part number should be 100-2949. In my 50+ years I’ve only had one time where the flywheel magnets were bad, it would surprise me if that were the problem.
Tks for your input. The coil I replaced was new . Dont know about the trigger, is that internal to the coil? When I removed the flywheel theres no components there. Seems simple enough I work on outboard motors similar

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, it’s internal. What was the new coil part number and if it was purchased on FleaBay or AutoScam, you have a better than 50% it is defective.

OBONE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Amazon. It's just a coil. Shows direct replacement for old one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723-112838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723-112838_Chrome.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 1