5HP engine / carburetor

Dynahoe Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have an old Lawn vac, powered by a 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine.

I got it at an auction for $5.00, because the carburetor was missing.

The engine nameplate info is this -
Model 130202
Type 029-03
Code 7108027

I got this carburetor -
labwork Carburetor for Briggs & Stratton 498298 692784 495951 492611 490533 495426 Carb Gasket Kit 5hp Engines 130202 112202 112232 134202 137202 133212

Carburetor.jpg

It also needed a new magneto coil, so I got a breakerless one. When I got the carb, I discovered there are 2 versions of the hole location in the mounting to the engine, so I made an adapter. I got it to run on carb cleaner as an initial test, then I decided to make a new fuel tank, since the original one was badly rusted and contaminated. And of course, it didn't match the carburetor. It was then that I realized there are a zillion different carburetors and fuel tanks for this engine.

Anyway, I figured out that the typical carburetor bowl is part of the fuel tank, so I made that as well.
I got it all together today, and got it to run. It runs well for some 10s of seconds, then dies - I am not sure if it's flooding or starving. It takes a lot of pulls, and carb cleaner to get it to fire, but then runs for a few tens of seconds on the gas. My main question is what is that pin to the left of the part that picks up fuel from the bottom of the "bowl"? Note - the picture shows the carburetor upside down from the way it is mounted. Should that pin be inside or outside of the "bowl"? If it is supposed to be inside, I can just make a change to include it. But I'd like to know if this may be the cause of the problem before I spend that time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you run a very fine wire up that tube, Or spray cleaner through it, I think you will find that it goes to the air horn. In that case it will be A vent tube.

Dynahoe Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will have to look at it closer... It sure looked solid while I was building everything. I thought it was pretty odd.
Another thing that I am unsure of - you can see an odd shaped passage to the right of the thick post. And a corresponding cutout in the gasket. Should that area have a hole into the fuel tank?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is solid then it is an alignment pin. Don’t have one around to take a look at.

Mkala

Threads
I took a pic for you, the little tang is plain, so nothing goes out there. As soon as you bowl is not emptying, it should be ok, and this should not happens in 10 sec
tank_top_briggs132000.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are over thinking everything. Clean your carb base and tank area, install new gasket and carb, you should be ready to go. Diaphragm pump on the carb will fill the auxiliary bowl and carb pickup will get its fuel from this bowl. Part you are talking about is for alignment.

Dynahoe Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took a pic for you, the little tang is plain, so nothing goes out there. As soon as you bowl is not emptying, it should be ok, and this should not happens in 10 sec

My reply -

2 things I notice - There is a hole in that arced slot in the gasket. I think I need to add that. I also see a notch in the side of the bowl, which would lower the level it can fill to. I need to add that also. It's not sealed, it is open to the tank, but it's going to hold the gas at a higher level than the one in your picture.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you lower it too much it will not fill to the proper level, resulting in a lean mixture and hard starting. Making your own tank without understanding how they work is asking for a migraine. Why not check a few of your local repair shop bone yards, should be able to find one.

Dynahoe Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Drilled a hole for that one in Mkala's picture. Drilled a hole in the side of my bowl, guestimating by eye from the picture. Put it back together. IT RUNS!

The governor doesn't seem to work... If I let it, it seems to want to rev up higher than anything Iv'e heard one of these 5HP engines do. What is the normal RPM limit and setpoint for a 5HP Briggs?

Dynahoe Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I could got to a local shop, or scrap yard... but everyything is still closed here. Anyway, I started the project in part because it is just something I never messed with.