5hp Briggs Will Only Run On Full Choke

DaveDSR

Threads
Then the main jet is still blocked or the fuel level is too low in the bowl

I think I caused some confusion by talking about 2 different carbs, the original carb and a brand new Briggs and Stratton carb. The engine runs only on full choke only with the new carb. Could the main jet be blocked in a new carb?

I'll look into the low fuel level possibility. Maybe the diaphragm is bad or the pick up tube is too low.

Thanks for replying,
Dave

CommandJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here and I know this is an old thread. I acquired an old 92 Briggs and stratton 5 Hp Industrial / commercial 132232-4036-02 attached to a pressure washer. It was in extremely bad shape. Probably should have been thrown away, but I figured I would try and bring it back to life. Im running into the same problem now after restoring it, the engine surges bad. If I apply about 1/2 choke it runs perfect. RPMs are steady at 3600. I also thought I did a thorough cleaning on the carb, removing both welsh plugs and really cleaning the fixed jet and all the orifices I could see. But no change. I even tried a different cheap carb. Similar problem with surging but if Choke is applied the engine stalls out. I’ve taken the carb out again to clean it.. now waiting on all the seals to come in. I figured it is an air leak somewhere but trying to find it Has not been easy. I don’t have a service manual, but found somethings online . what is the normal compression on a 5 hp? I have 75#. it starts first pull, i just don’t know what the “range” should be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After cleaning are you sure you set the float level properly? Sorry wrong carb, disregard. Did you replace the fuel pump diaphragm?

CommandJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did replace the fuel pump diaphragm, spring and cover that sits on top of the spring so it does puncture the diaphragm. I did order another diaphragm since I took everything back apart. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will upload what it looked like before hand and after.

CommandJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well forgive as this is the first time trying to posts photos. But I added Some pictures of what it looked like before, what the carb looks like now and the overall end result.

4A5DE29C-5A24-47F8-B599-6A1038BA5A6C.jpeg29B32D81-4AB8-459E-B26F-13A113184E9E.jpeg3289409F-4ADB-494C-BC03-94111BE4D458.jpegA812F263-72D4-4A5E-93A4-28B368CBB22D.jpeg

E1367B0A-3ADC-42AE-A9B1-E7BDEBCABD02.jpeg6231A1F1-04A6-4126-AFF0-1BEF4921DC96.jpeg
9E131ADF-851D-4AC8-B36C-8C70AEB5A7B4.jpeg
93D0854E-23CD-4920-A04B-63F3F5C7E23B.jpeg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check the tank for rust? Biggest problem with this engine is rust in the tank and fuel cup getting sucked into the carb. I have seen a new carb plug up the main jet in about 15 seconds from rust in the fuel cup.

CommandJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the info. The original fuel take was completely rusted through. I actually found a good used one to replace it and put the red coat lining in it to help protect it. I’m afraid because of how rusted the original tank was, that it really messed up the fixed jet in the original carb. That’s why I tried a cheap one with no success. Now I have pulled the welsh plugs and cleaned everything and used my ultrasonic cleaner on the original one. This is about the third time doing it. I do have all the seals and plugs on order. I figured I would try it one more time. Just did not know if I was overlooking something easy.

joe_cooler

Threads
Check your fuel line for cracks as well. Spray carb cleaner around the carb to ensure it is sealed. My fuel line had an almost invisible crack allowing enough air in for surging, but did not leak. So check the whole fuel feed system for air intrusion.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check your fuel line for cracks as well. Spray carb cleaner around the carb to ensure it is sealed. My fuel line had an almost invisible crack allowing enough air in for surging, but did not leak. So check the whole fuel feed system for air intrusion.
There are no fuel lines

CommandJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the idea Joe. I didn’t think about that. I’m guessing you are talking about the fuel pickup tube that has the plastic filter piece on? I know I sprayed carb cleaner through it and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. But I will look closer tonight.