4wd L&G tractor

Threads
If you had $8,000 to $10,000 to spend on a tractor (and you absolutely needed to have 4wd because of the slopes) and it would be used primarily, 95% of the time, to mow 2 acres, what would you buy?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you had $8,000 to $10,000 to spend on a tractor (and you absolutely needed to have 4wd because of the slopes) and it would be used primarily, 95% of the time, to mow 2 acres, what would you buy?

If the slopes were steep I would go with a used deweze slope mower. Awesome mower. I use one to mow around the pond banks at my grandmother's house. Husqvarna makes an articulating 4 wheel drive mower (R322t). The deck can be changed out for a number of other implements as well. You can purchase one of them new for about $5500. Ventrac makes a nice slope mower as well.

eric102

Threads
Since you are requesting a tractor I think the John Deere AWD X700 series is your only choice but will cost a bit more than your budget if buying new, used ones will fall right in you price range though. John Deere always has the 0 down 0% interest for 60 months deal going on plus you get a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty on a new rig also.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you are requesting a tractor I think the John Deere AWD X700 series is your only choice but will cost a bit more than your budget if buying new, used ones will fall right in you price range though. John Deere always has the 0 down 0% interest for 60 months deal going on plus you get a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty on a new rig also.

There are other options than John Deere. The Kubota BX series is one example of a 4wd lawn tractor. The Simplicity prestige is another 4wd lawn tractor. That's just off the top of my head, not to mention the three brands I brought up in my first post. The Simplicity, and the Husqvarna are probably the only two that the op could purchase brand new for the budget mentioned.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any of the articulated 4WD's are good provided you do not let the grass grow too high.
I love the Rider Pros, a beautiful piece of kit.
The Stiga Park will handle tall grass better than either the Husqvarna or the Jhonsored.

But there are a lot of other things that need consideration like the type of grass, roughness of the terrain, amount of the debris

eric102

Threads
Any of the articulated 4WD's are good provided you do not let the grass grow too high.

I've noticed that with a neighbors Husqvarna articulated, it will leave a lot of clumps if he doesn't mow every week which is hard to do here in the wet Pacific Northwest.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the bio clip mulching deck is the best mulcher I have ever seen but it chokes if you try to cut much more than 2" because they really chop up the grass almost into a pulp.
The other nice thing is they are quiet, by lawnmower standards.
Down side is it gets really slippery on the back tyres.
The Stiga parks will handle a lot taller grass but I don't know if they are available over there.
Murray used to make some mowers for Stiga I assume because Murray has a colour code for Stiga yellow and Stiga White.

You can get a rear discharge deck for the Rider Pros , but they leave a windrow behind them

Threads
Yes the bio clip mulching deck is the best mulcher I have ever seen but it chokes if you try to cut much more than 2" because they really chop up the grass almost into a pulp.
The other nice thing is they are quiet, by lawnmower standards.
Down side is it gets really slippery on the back tyres.
The Stiga parks will handle a lot taller grass but I don't know if they are available over there.
Murray used to make some mowers for Stiga I assume because Murray has a colour code for Stiga yellow and Stiga White.

You can get a rear discharge deck for the Rider Pros , but they leave a windrow behind them

Thanks for all the replies. Shughes...I really like the Simplicity Prestiges but I've heard that they have a lot of issues with their 4wd's. Anyone have any actual experience with them?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. Shughes...I really like the Simplicity Prestiges but I've heard that they have a lot of issues with their 4wd's. Anyone have any actual experience with them?

I must admit, I cannot give an informed opinion on the Prestige. I have never owned one. I do have extensive experience on the John Deere, Kubota, and the Deweze. I like the design of the Husqvarna, but I haven't put enough hours in the seat on it, or the Pretige to know how well they hold up over time. I would like to read some reviews from members on both machines as well.

John R

Threads
Look around for a good used Kubota BX.