42" Riding Mower Choice

BTBO

Threads
Hey folks, looking for a 42" deck on a good quality machine. Husqvarna and Exmark have a model, but wondering who else might have a smaller
deck with a good quality build and motor,,,(Kawasaki, Kohler) Thanks for looking. Steve in Ky.
You may want to consider a Scag Liberty Z 36" with 18hp Kawasaki. I have the 48" Liberty Z with 21.5 hp Kawasaki and could not be happier. The Liberty Z line of zero turns are the residential versions of their commercial mowers.

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
BTBO,,,,,,,,,,Thanks, I've heard of Skag, I'll check em out.

footballfan33

Threads
Walkers go down to 34" AFAIK
And you will not find a better deck on the planet for mowing & bagging, not much chop for rough cutting
I picked up a B28i with a kholer fuel injected engine, mulching deck, 48inches 6 months ago. I upgraded from the base model with a 42 inch deck. It’s amazing for 2 acres.

100 td

Threads
All depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you have to mow, if you have 5 acres or more, personally I would get something with external oil filters on the transmissions, slightly heavier/more commercial units, also a fabricated deck if you have anything but lawn.

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm too particular and 71 years old and just used to the tiny
30" Ariens Emperor rear motor rider. I can throw that thing up on it's rear bars and sharpen the blade with ease.
That Skag 36" looks real nice BTBO and looks super built. But lap bars I don't like, but that's about the only way those good machines come.
I probably should rebuild my old ARIENS AND PUT ONe OF THOSE hARBOR FREIGHT pREDATO MOTORS ON IT. Cap key
keep getting in the way. I'll keep researching and find something. Thanks again guys. Electric ??? Green Machine makes a bad ass commercial
graDE MOWER....about 9K for the big one and they are located about 25 miles from here. Oh well..Have a nice weekend out there.

Born2Mow

Threads
Appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm too particular and 71 years old and just used to the tiny 30" Ariens Emperor rear motor rider.
I'm 70-1/2 and use a 44" zero turn Exmark. You'll get used to the lap bars if you use it. I actually prefer the ZT for getting closer around trees and poles.

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get a zero turn with a steering wheel.. Just as an FYI. Local Dealer should have models to test out there.

But once you try Lap Bars, I doubt you would go back.

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I looked at a Skag 46" and they are built like tanks. Really nice and I heard after lap bars you never go back.
Bad Boy has a 42" deck. Any feedback on Bad Boys,,,,they look good too. Skag is offering a 15% discount for military.
That's decent. Thanks for the info Born2mow & 7394. Hell getting old. Thanks again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Born2Mow

Threads
Some things to look for....

• When your deck gets above ~36" it gets really important to have the anti-scalping rollers on the corners of the deck. The reason is that as the deck gets bigger, the distance between the vehicle wheels also increases. This makes it easier for the deck to cut MUCH lower (e.g. "scalp") than the vehicle wheels intended.

• On discounted models the brackets for anti-scalping may be there, but they want you to buy the wheels separately. With fasteners that may be as much as $25 per wheel. And, a big box store probably does not stock the wheels.

• Users have reported issues with the new Kohler engines, and are very unsure what's going on with B&S now that they went into bankruptcy. They are both good names, but you may need to be slightly more attentive to your maintenance in order insure a long life. Oil changes, keeping the cooling fins clean, etc.

• Don't buy a ZTM if you have steep topography on your property. Since 2 wheels do everything on a ZTM it's easy to loose traction and slide (especially sideways) on steep grades. This problem with sliding is more prevalent on the lighter models under ~500 lbs. Once you get above ~700lbs they get far more sure footed.

• One of the items I love the most about my ZTM is that the foot plate lifts up to aid general debris cleaning and belt replacement. I like to get the leaf blower out when I finish mowing and the ability to lift this plate is a big plus.

• One of the things to look for is rubber insulated struts between the body and the deck. My 36" Hustler was the loudest thing, and I finally figured out the engine was pulling the entire deck to the rear via the drive belt. Not once, but continuously ! It sounded like someone beating on a garbage can with a hammer. The deck has to be free to go up-and-down, but should NOT be free to swing front-to-rear.

• Look at your on-board storage. I carry a cell phone, a can of fire ant poison and a set of long-reach pincers. You probably have items you'd like to carry. Take them with you and make sure they fit onboard before buying.

Hope this helps.

slKUS6Sh.jpg

It's bad when the official cup won't fit the cup holder.

Charlie8d

Threads
The best mower I have ever owned was ==
an Ariens 30” rear engine with 8 hp !!