$40 Craigslist-find HR215 giving my 3y/o HRC216 a run for its money?

TerraForte

Threads
  • / $40 Craigslist-find HR215 giving my 3y/o HRC216 a run for its money?
I'm a big fan of my HRC216, but I admit its flaws.

I bought mine brand new about 4 years ago, and it's been sturdy and reliable. But I always felt the motor was a bit weak. I guess I chalked it up to trading raw power for refinement and elegant design. I mean, this thing ain't meant to hack down 2ft overgrown grass every day, right? It's more meant for gentle trimming every 4 days of a golf course. A very refined tool. The HRC is a surgeon's scalpel while the Toro/Exmark 21" is like a chainsaw.
And with the bagger, mowing a well kept lawn, it really does do a good job. The stripes could be better, but it's more than decent.
With either the side discharge, or mulch plug, it's nothing to write home about.

But pretty much, no matter what, if it was wet, mowing was miserable. The motor would very quickly bog down, stall, etc. Really a headache, but I thought that's just how it was.
2 years back, I used a brand new Exmark Commercial 30" mower for a while. That one has the Kawasaki FJ180v motor, which is approximately equal to the Honda GXV160 I thought. Similar displacement, similar power output. I though the Exmark even had a handicap because it was the 30" vs 21".

Man, THAT thing had power. It was shocking how much more powerful it seemed. It also moved a LOT faster, even though they are both rated at like 4.1 or 4.2mph.

I've adjusted my clutch cable and engine throttle cable several times. I even bought a cheap tachometer off Amazon and checked the RPMs. At full speed, it hovers right at 3k rpm, which I thought was within the acceptable range stated in the manual.
I went on as normal.

Then, I saw an old HR215 for sale for $40. One of those really on-top-of-things older couple. They bought it new almost 30 years ago, and used it to mow their lawn that was about 20x5' feet. They maintained it religiously.
That thing is a tank! You put it in 3rd gear and it's bound to rip your arms off it moves so fast. I'm 25 years old in extremely good shape, mow lawns every day, and I cannot use it in 3rd gear. It's too fast.

I got it home and mowed a few lines to really see how it cut.
This thing is amazing!
I was quickly thinking "does my HRC mow this good....?"
Then I put the discharge chute on, and that thing powered through anything. It spit the grass a good 15ft. I was shocked. My 216 would have been on the verge of bogging down.
Then I thought about a suspicion I had of the 215 while I was using it. "This thing sounds like it's running pretty fast..."
I got the tach out, and, sure enough, it was pushing 3700-3800 rpm.
I measured my HRC again and it was showing 2950.

So, did someone crank up the RPM on the HR? And Is there a way for me to get my HRC up to 3150 or 3200?

upupandaway

Threads
I had a HR215 (free curb shopping) I didn't have it long until it threw the rod. I opened the engine out of curiousity. It is like the Wisconsin(subaru??) motor on my snapper in that ball bearings top and bottom or else nothing to write home to mom about. If u need parts, i might still have some of them laying around like I did save the wheel up until recently.

Is there a way for me to get my HRC up to 3150 or 3200?
Yes there is. When i fix hondas to flip, look at the airfilter. Now look to the right and down. There is a horizontal spring. Shorten this by bending the spring will bump up the RPM. Yeah. hondas are quiet because they run slower. Get it up to 3K and you can't really tell the difference. Actually I learned this when I checked with the audio DB app on my phone...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a Honda sales gimmick. Claim they have quiet mowers. When from the factory they turn 2700rpm. Crank one up to 3600 and they are just as noisy as a Briggs. Oh and "they are fuel efficient". That's because they run near idle all the time.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kawasaki FJ180V, the OLD FJ model, is the undisputed king of push mower engines. They have the longest stroke resulting in class leading torque.

slomo

TerraForte

Threads
That is a Honda sales gimmick. Claim they have quiet mowers. When from the factory they turn 2700rpm. Crank one up to 3600 and they are just as noisy as a Briggs. Oh and "they are fuel efficient". That's because they run near idle all the time.

slomo
I didn't know this was a common thing.
Not sure why they would do that on purpose. I haven't been disappointed with my mower, per se, but definitely been disgruntled a few times.
I went out to inspect the throttle and governor linkage, it was actually super easy to raise the max RPM!
There is a limiter screw at the bottom of the throttle linkage. It's just got a security torx head, and I turned it a little bit, raising the RPM immediately.

Much easier than I expected, and wish I figured this out years ago. I did not adjust the governor spring or anything else, so we'll see if this gets me what I want.

I only tweaked it up until it runs about 3200rpm with the blades engaged.

TerraForte

Threads
The Kawasaki FJ180V, the OLD FJ model, is the undisputed king of push mower engines. They have the longest stroke resulting in class leading torque.

slomo
Not familiar with all these small details and quirks.

What did they do to the new FJ model?

And yes, I agree, the motor seemed to have more raw power, but it was louder than my HRC. And, unfortunately, I did not enjoy the rest of the mower. I guess I wish they put the FJ on a Honda mower with a hydrostatic transmission lol

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

slomo
When the Briggs quantums go on one of my push mowers, I plan I fitting a FJ model. Or maybe one of the FJ KAI models.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't know this was a common thing.
Not sure why they would do that on purpose. I haven't been disappointed with my mower, per se, but definitely been disgruntled a few times.
I went out to inspect the throttle and governor linkage, it was actually super easy to raise the max RPM!
There is a limiter screw at the bottom of the throttle linkage. It's just got a security torx head, and I turned it a little bit, raising the RPM immediately.

Much easier than I expected, and wish I figured this out years ago. I did not adjust the governor spring or anything else, so we'll see if this gets me what I want.

I only tweaked it up until it runs about 3200rpm with the blades engaged.
You should be golden with those settings. Enjoy the mower.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not familiar with all these small details and quirks.

What did they do to the new FJ model?

And yes, I agree, the motor seemed to have more raw power, but it was louder than my HRC. And, unfortunately, I did not enjoy the rest of the mower. I guess I wish they put the FJ on a Honda mower with a hydrostatic transmission lol
The new KAI FJ is made in China last I heard. I'm sure it's made and built to Kawasaki standards. Several people complaining about some new things on them. I've never owned the new KAI model. I did have an older FJ180V on a Snapper Commercial pusher. Stupid me sells the baddest mower ever made. "Thought" I needed to clear out the garage a little. That thing would mow down a 100 foot tall redwood tree LOL.

Easy on the Honda hydro trans. Go price repair parts for it. Might as well drop it off at the Mercedes dealer for service. :)

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the Briggs quantums go on one of my push mowers, I plan I fitting a FJ model. Or maybe one of the FJ KAI models.
Those Quantums are pretty tough. Good old Briggs L-head design. Keep the, here we go again. Keep the dirt, oil and grass off the block cooling fins. LOL My dad gave me his Toro Super Recycler that had a 190cc Quantum. He never removed the blower cover. I had to put a new short block on it. Exhaust valve seat popped out. Tried restaking it, no dice. Engine made good torque.

slomo