4 WD riders

wayne1

Forum Newbie
Threads
i'm looking at putting another transaxle up front ( same make/model as existing ); using CV joints to connect the front wheels to the axle and keep the steering the same; change from belt drive to chain drive for strength and more torque control on axles without slippage; i plan to take the steel wheels and weld 1.5 " x 3/4" channel accross the wheel, equally spaced at 8 locations on each wheel on all 4 wheels for traction and use cut up old tire sections for rubber boots on the wheels when crossing sensitive material like pavement and such. making the linkage to connect the 2 transaxle for a single shifter shouldn't be too hard to do. i plan to use a spacer behind the wheels so as not to have to relocate the mower deck or make it easier to remove the deck when i want to do some digging. i also plan on some hydrologic type system using a ford power steering pump and a 4 stage control valve joy stick for a 2 cu. ft. front bucket/blade. i have shortened to wheel base to 28" o.c.. Running out of time, see ya later.

demhustler

Threads
I can't afford a ATV, I have set a 5hp B/S motor on top of a 30" Murry rider deck I guess I could attach a couple of hinged tow bars and pull it but that's not the point. The point is to take an engineered and factory built machine that does pretty much one thing ( mow ) and with the help, advise, ideas, suggestions and experiance of the tallanted people using this forum create a machine that can do alot of things that we all can use. We build it simply because it can be done, there is all sorts of machines out there, they started with an idea, we've got plenty of them, let's get to it. i've got an idea on how to make a 4WD riding mower, who needs a garden tractor or something a little bigger?

best words ...

2. to stick another tractor tranny on the front and make turns by articulation
husquarna has pivoting 90 dgr rear axle - which makes it ztr frontmount mower
-or skid steer awd "mower" : ))))

electric wheelmotors with small battery (plug-in hybrid w/o generator : )))) - part time awd, full time electric dynamic front brakes, regen - just for the hell of it : ))))))

Attachments

• 7f8809b5.jpg
    7f8809b5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 25

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I was going to build 2 different 4 wheel drive tractors (not fully locked type) for trail riding ( not for mowing) - one is on a 80's agway - planned on using a standard transmission ( mounted in normal way) up front with brackets from a noma rear steer tractor ( or close fabricated type) - that way you can steer, shift gears and still have some sort of driven front wheels.

My other would be to use my 90's GT 6000 with a twin clyender, wheelhorse 3 speed hi/low trans up front and standard 3 speed hi/low trans in back- use large ujoints for the front wheels and build some sort of cage to contain the steering knuckles. The benefits would be similar to the agway, driven front wheels , but also the ability to shift front trans to neutral for 2 wheel drive.

Older bolens tractors ( tube frames) make a locking differential for no slipping , all power.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
this is the same rig ive got....these guys are idiots but you can see what they can do....definitely get a garden tractor....they have the bigger tires ...as well as tougher parts [tranny, front axle ,bearings etc.]............ mud boggin - YouTube

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Kubota makes a 4x4 lawn tractor, you can even get it with a diesel. DIESEL LAWN TRACTOR, COOL!

demhustler

Threads
yea, a lot of small diesels on the market now (pict-10hp diesel) - prices and specs - online
2. simple overrunning clutches instead of diff used sometimes in ATVs and bigger frontmount mowers

Attachments

• 10HP_DIES_KAPUR_001.jpg
    10HP_DIES_KAPUR_001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 10HP_DIES_KAPUR_003.jpg
    10HP_DIES_KAPUR_003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 11
  • overrun.clutch.pol.JPG
    overrun.clutch.pol.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 16

demhustler

Threads
easy way to add extra 2wd
human resourcefulness and ingenuity - amazing
made to get the thing out of the trunk of the car, quick assembly, blow-on tires and go fishing...
3820d1319390125-4-wd-riders-motocamokat-2x2-jpg

Attachments

• motocamokat.2x2.JPG
    motocamokat.2x2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads
Dixie Chopper now makes a 4 wheel drive mower.
Unless you have a really big hill no point in having one though.