33R877 0002 G1

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
From the looks of this. Seems the flywheel key tried to come out the top. In doing so, broke part of it, and bent the rest of it. Also broke a big chunk of the fly wheel cone.
There's still a good piece of the key that I used to see of the keyway had spread any. And it did.
Example: when you sick a good fly wheel key into a keyway, there's very little wiggle room. Stick it in the top of the crank now, and there's about double the wiggle.
Thus on a customers, and I'm scared of putting another key in it, with it as loose as it is.
Looking for advise. Is the crank junk? Can I put some foil in it to tighten it up?

Tinkerer200

Threads
The engine must have a steel key which I think was a very bad idea for the very problem you outline. The soft key B&S used for ever until recently would not have damaged either. The several 33 series engines I have had did have a soft key but I hear they are recommending hard keys now. The engine has apparently been run for a long time with a loose flywheel. The original idea of the key was to hold the flywheel and crankshaft in position until the nut or bolt was properly torqued. When the flywheel is properly torqued the tapper holds the two in place. IF the keyways of both the flywheel and crankshaft are damaged the full length to where there is no longer enough to properly align them using a longer key, I would get a larger key and try to file it to a snug enough fit to hold the two properly aligned then make sure to use a torque wrench and perhaps add 10% to the recommended torque. IF that fails, then a replacement engine may be in order unless you have access to a replacement flywheel and crankshaft. Think of your labor involved. You may want to let the customer make the decision given the options.

Walt Conner

There is now way a key can try to come out the top and damage the keyway all the way down. n try to come out the top

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The use of a steel is a possible. As there is a couple APSI on these 330000 series engines as Briggs had to redesign the flywheel and crankshafts.

APSI 82

APSI 89

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
looks like there might be enough key to locate the flywheel
Now here is the go.
Get some diamond grinding paste around 10 microns
get some cotton wool , NOTHING ELSE WILL DO . (YES I AM SHOUTING ) and pack it hard around the crankshaft below the level of the oil seal
Now use the paste to lap the flywheel into the crankshaft.
Allow about 2 hours for this it is slow
When both the crankshaft & flywheel tapers have a uniform dull look all over they are lapped ( same as a valve seat but valve paste is way too coarse. )
Clean the crankshaft thoroughly before removing the cotton wool
IF you allow any of the paste to get into the engine it will pass right through the oil filter and destroy the big end in a very short time.
When done properly a taper wet with water will seal so tight you can just about lift the engine by the flywheel without the bolt being in place.
when you replace the flywheel align the keyway very carefully.
Put a jack under the pulley if the motor is in the frame or stand it up on the PTO shaft
Give the flywheel a hard "tap" with a dead blow hammer , a lead one is the best to use .
IF you don't have a lead one then make one, hundreds of videos on how to make one from an old battery .
A leather faced one is also fine but steel hammer or copper are too bouncy as is a rubber or plastic faced mallet .
Then torque up the bolt and hope you never have to remove that flywheel again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't tell if that was the new style flywheel and crankshaft as that key was the new 591757 steel key. To me it looks the old style crankshaft.

Either someone put in the wrong key, under torqued, or over torqued the flywheel.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well perhaps lapping won't cut the mustard with that flywheel

There's no way I'm good enough to do all that you described. I appreciate the info. Even with another flywheel I have to fit it. And not sure if I could even find that paste, due to the fact that power is out in the next 2 to three adjacent towns. Wide spread outages right now.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According the APSI 89 that engine should the newer crankshaft and flywheel. When ordering replacement make you order the right parts per date code break.

And it sounds you are getting a dose of what went thru Sunday night there. Hopes things are only power outages.