33" rer - no engine

Snapperfreak

Threads
Just picked this up today for free. Except for missing the engine and a torn up seat it looks in pretty nice shape. Tires are good too. Don't know much about the RERs and I'm wondering what to look for in a replacement engine. Could be Briggs or Something else but particularly what shaft and pulley does it need to match up with the belt. If anyone has insight into this I'd appreciate it. It is a 1994 model 331623BVE. So I got the 33" and 16hp but what does the 23BVE stand for?

image-540734568.jpg

KELLY80621

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe the 23BVE designation indicates it is a series 23 with a Briggs & Stratton engine, overhead valve design and electric start. HTH...
Kelly

Snapperfreak

Threads
This may be a bigger project than I'm able to tackle.

cashman

Threads
If your going to go with the twin cylinder, maybe someone could post a pic of the muffler that was used on those? Don't know if it was a Snapper muffler or a Briggs? The 12hp single cylinder worked pretty well on those back in the day.

silver1

Threads
This may be a bigger project than I'm able to tackle.

I have a picture of the pulley with drive disk. It shows a 1" output shaft is needed on the motor.
Is your wiring in good shape and key start? This pulley is from a 77 8hp B&S snapper comet

Attachments

• IMGP0015.jpg
    IMGP0015.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMGP0016.jpg
    IMGP0016.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 13

Snapperfreak

Threads
There is some electrical and it is a key start but I'm not sure if the wires that are there are going to be what I need for a different engine than what it came with. But I guess whatever engine I find I can wire it up. I shouldn't be so quick to give up on this, it's really cool. A twin-cylinder would be great but I may just see what pops up that I can afford. Thanks for that pic of the pulley, now I know what I'm looking for. This thing really isn't in my way and it's not a project that has to be finished right now. It's just a toy. I'll keep it and as time and money allow I'll tinker with it. I'll get some better close-up pics if it too this week.

silver1

Threads
There is some electrical and it is a key start but I'm not sure if the wires that are there are going to be what I need for a different engine than what it came with. But I guess whatever engine I find I can wire it up. I shouldn't be so quick to give up on this, it's really cool. A twin-cylinder would be great but I may just see what pops up that I can afford. Thanks for that pic of the pulley, now I know what I'm looking for. This thing really isn't in my way and it's not a project that has to be finished right now. It's just a toy. I'll keep it and as time and money allow I'll tinker with it. I'll get some better close-up pics if it too this week.

I would sell the pulley. You could get a manual start motor as they came with that option. Mine had an 8hp. you could get a 10 or 12 hp.
you have the fuel tank with is a big plus. Does it roll with ease? Shift ok?