321D Weird deck noise

Maskedman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I love my Grasshopper and I have a 2003 321D that is the best mower I have ever had. Built like a tank with 537 hrs on the clock. It has developed a weird oscillating noise with the mower engaged. Sounds kind of like a blade is hitting a shroud in the round sheet metal surrounding one of the blades. I don't see anything and it comes and goes while the mower is running. About +/- 3 second intervals. All spindles and blades are tight. None of the idlers appear to be worn or loose. Has anybody ever seen anything like this, if so what was the cause?? Don't feel comfortable waiting until something breaks or falls off! Any help appreciated. TIA

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What @mechanic mark said. ☝️
Oscillating? Something that’s spinning is making the noise. You are going to need the deck belt off and spin all of the pulleys and idlers. Check the play in the spindles.
Also, check your belt. There could be chunks of rubber missing from the belt.

Maskedman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Chunks missing from the belt is not going to make a metallic sound like blades hitting a metal shroud. Anyway no chunks are missing from the belt. I already checked for spindle and idler play... I am telling you this is a weird abnormal noise....

Maskedman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would remove deck for cleaning & inspection.
This is a very broad statement. I don't need a general answer. I was looking for someone who had experienced the same kind of problem for a specific answer. Thanks

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Chunks missing from the belt is not going to make a metallic sound like blades hitting a metal shroud. Anyway no chunks are missing from the belt. I already checked for spindle and idler play... I am telling you this is a weird abnormal noise....
Check to see if your blades are hitting under the deck.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don' have a specific answer but if you still have the old blades reinstall those . If the noise stops we can be reasonable sure the noise has something to do with the new blades

Maskedman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don' have a specific answer but if you still have the old blades reinstall those . If the noise stops we can be reasonable sure the noise has something to do with the new blades
I never changed the blades but no they are not hitting.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to remove the deck and give it a good inspection. There is no way to check for proper spindle condition with the deck mounted. I’m guessing a bad spindle bearing which shows itself during operation. Second, when you have the deck off you can really go through it to see if there is any metal to metal contact.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If there;s a bad bearing that bearing assembly be a warmer temperature than one with good bearings . Kill it and feel them after it runs awhile and the noise starts .