3.5 HP not running

Berniebac

Threads
I have a Briggs 3.5 HP, Mod. 92902; Type 5211-01; Code 83012505. I have posted about itin another thread where I was asking about the coil gap. I have a new problem that I wanted to ask about.

I put a carb kit in it and a new air filter. After these installations I had it running perfect and mowed my yard at home with it. That was about an hour of steady mowing. I then took the mower to my cottage and tried to start it there and it would not start. I adjusted the idle screw again, and eventually got it running and mowed for about 45 minutes with it. I shut it off, and went backto start it after about 20 mins and it would not run. It would start but only idle very low and then shut down after about 30 secs. I tried to adjust it again but could not get it running smooth.

The only thing I noticed was some oil laying around the carb from when I had oiled the air filter. Thinking I had over oiled the air filter, I took the filter out and took some oil out of it by squeezing it in some paper towels. Still no go after removing some of the oil.

Any thoughts why it would be so difficult to start after having run so perfectly? What should I do to get it running again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start with the basics, fuel, spark, compression, timing.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks. I have done some of that. Have spark, fuel ( and its fresh), compression is low but it usually runs. I will double check these on the weekend, but am really hoping it is some stupid simple thing I overlooked. The mower is at the cottage so I can't get at it till Saturday.

bootface

Threads
I have never been a fan of oiling the air filter. They are not designed to be oiled so anything that reduces the amount of air being pulled into the carb is wrong. Wash and thoroughly dry the filter (if it's foam rubber) and then check to see that the oil level isn't too high on the dipstick. You should not have any oil anywhere near the carb so that's not a good sign. Oil belongs in the crankcase not in the top end or the carb. If you have overfilled with oil, it's being squeezed up the cylinder walls and into the head, then back into the carb and exhaust.

I have a Briggs 3.5 HP, Mod. 92902; Type 5211-01; Code 83012505. I have posted about itin another thread where I was asking about the coil gap. I have a new problem that I wanted to ask about.

I put a carb kit in it and a new air filter. After these installations I had it running perfect and mowed my yard at home with it. That was about an hour of steady mowing. I then took the mower to my cottage and tried to start it there and it would not start. I adjusted the idle screw again, and eventually got it running and mowed for about 45 minutes with it. I shut it off, and went backto start it after about 20 mins and it would not run. It would start but only idle very low and then shut down after about 30 secs. I tried to adjust it again but could not get it running smooth.

The only thing I noticed was some oil laying around the carb from when I had oiled the air filter. Thinking I had over oiled the air filter, I took the filter out and took some oil out of it by squeezing it in some paper towels. Still no go after removing some of the oil.

Any thoughts why it would be so difficult to start after having run so perfectly? What should I do to get it running again.

Berniebac

Threads
I thought my inst manual said to oil it so I did. I will clean it out and try again. Thanks for the tip I will let you know what happens.

Berniebac

Threads
I finally got to clean the air filter this weekend and the mower started on the second pull. It ran great and mowed the entire yard. Thanks for the help.