28 yr old Honda HR215, do the new ones mulch better???

Romore

Threads
  • / 28 yr old Honda HR215, do the new ones mulch better???
I tried mulching with my old HR214, wasn't particularly impressed with the results but that thing was a bagging fool! The catcher was packed solid and no clippings left behind. I have also tried the Toro Super Recycler, great mulcher under the right conditions but marginal bagger. In my experience no one machine does both well.

Jeff T

Threads
OK, all the parts arrived, installed on mower. Cut the grass today and it definitely was a much finer mulch. IMHO, the 140 cc engine on my HR 215 is just not strong enough for teh additional weight of a second blade and the additional clippings its chopping into a finer mulch. Thanks for all the help, I will be looking for a slightly used HRX.

tranchinh

Threads
Sorry to hear that

HarmonySeeker

Threads
OK, all the parts arrived, installed on mower. Cut the grass today and it definitely was a much finer mulch. IMHO, the 140 cc engine on my HR 215 is just not strong enough for teh additional weight of a second blade and the additional clippings its chopping into a finer mulch. Thanks for all the help, I will be looking for a slightly used HRX.
That's too bad.
What would you be asking for that worthless mulcher?

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Yes the old hr214 215 216 you were able to buy the mulch plug and 2 blade kit but still doesn’t mulch for much of anything.

Interesting, I bought the mulch kit with our mower in 1992 and it was only one blade.
I'm having a hard time telling by the drawing: Do the upper blade 'wings' sit up and away from the lower or are the wings flipped so they ride nearly on top of the lowers?

Jeff T

Threads
I'm having a hard time telling by the drawing: Do the upper blade 'wings' sit up and away from the lower or are the wings flipped so they ride nearly on top of the lowers?
The wings ride up near the top of the deck.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
The wings ride up near the top of the deck.
No kidding. Thanks for the info. Well, then, my mower mulches quite well, considering the blades are on backward!
Anyway, I can haul that under-powered HR215 away for you. No sense cluttering up your yard.
What time would be convenient?

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Then we have a saying 'round these here parts:

'kwitcherbitchin'

The faithful BS Troy-Bilt is going to family.
The Honda stays in my garage. I paid too much to fix it, so it won't sell.
And I think I may sell the Honda-powered Cub Cadet SRC 216(?) after I get the sheared bolt out of the crankshaft, and the blade re-attached, and address the hard pull-back problem.....
But otherwise, it's a great mower! Great!
I'm currently cutting my lawn with a 1970 Sears 3.5 Electric lawn mower I found by a dumpster until I eventually run over the cord.
Then I'll cuss and throw it away like everyone else has!