260 carb parts needed

gpeade

Threads
First off Hello to everyone. Hope you guys can be as helpful with this issue as other forums have been to other issues. I have an old JD 260 lawn tractor. Last week the throttle shaft broke on the carb. Shaft broke and I can see the butterfly laying in the intake. Thank goodness it didn't go any farther. My problem is that while JD used to make a nice little repair part kit with all the parts I needed they no longer sell it. According to two different dealers the only way to get the parts I need is to order the entire carb which is 219.00. My question to you here is if there are any aftermarket parts places that I may be able to get either the replacment parts I need or pick up a used carb or even a new carb thats not $200.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model numbers of the engine. Should be able to find you the needed parts.

gpeade

Threads
serial # FC540-0788SS
Code # FC540V-B700

These numbers are from the sticker directly on the engine shroud.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this carb the same one you have. A phone call to this guy might help.

OEM Parts

DaveTN

Threads
Just wondering what type of engine you're working on? I don't think you'd have to go
to the John Deere dealer to get a carburetor item. You could probably order it on line as well.
I was working on an 11 HP Briggs & Stratton engine on a riding mower and it wouldn't start. One of the problems was the choke plate came off the shaft and was sticking partly shut. This engine had that new plastic carburetor where the float and all is down IN the float bowl with a pickup tube going up into the carburetor. NOT held on by screws mind you, but with a wire clasp! The trouble was the metering valve (also PLASTIC) was stopped up with a tiny piece of plastic starving the engine for fuel. I HATE plastic carburetors!! At any rate, ask around any mower shop and they should sell a throffle shaft.