24HP V-Twin B&S - Fault driving me CRAZY!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also the jets in your carb are L and R and have to be put back in exactly as taken out cause that will cause hunting .......

Also the O-rings on the jets get worn out and causes issues too......... You cannot the O-rings from Briggs at all.....They come with new Jets....

If your O rings are worn the jets won't stay in place.................

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

I gotta disagree with you on the correct jet installation,Boux.
There isn't enough difference in jet size to cause any running issues.....I orta know cuz I reversed mine B-4.
Only reason for different size jets is good ol' EPA....since the work load on the #2 cyl is less than the #1 due to "cylinder lag,"
the jet for the #2 is SLIGHTLY smaller so as to minimize emissions!!!
Do you believe that schittttt??

The O-rings are available from McMaster Carr. Like $6.00/100 or some trivial amount like that (didn't I send U some once upon a time?)

Anyway, tha's my story an' I'm a-stickin' to it!

Threads
There isn't enough difference in jet size to cause any running issues.....I orta know cuz I reversed mine B-4.
Only reason for different size jets is good ol' EPA....since the work load on the #2 cyl is less than the #1 due to "cylinder lag,"

The O-rings are available from McMaster Carr. Like $6.00/100 or some trivial amount like that (didn't I send U some once upon a time?)

I never reversed any before, but according to Briggs the slightly larger jet is needed because that cylinder is farther away.

Yes you sent me some O=rings......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Now because those O rings will come in a pack of 100 or more, do you still have the original pack with the numbers on it ?
Must have a dozen different assortments but none even near the correct size let alone being in a petrol proof rubber.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never reversed any before, but according to Briggs the slightly larger jet is needed because that cylinder is farther away.

Yes you sent me some O=rings......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

These are the ones I purchased, and they work fine.
McMaster Carr # 9262K101

These are Buna-n, but Viton may work better.
I know that others have used a slightly different size as well.

As for the jet size differences, my info came from a Briggs & Stratton design engineer.
He said that "cylinder lag" is the phenomenon wherein the power requirement of the #2 cylinder is diminished
because it fires right after the #1 cyl which produces a greater percentage of the power.
This means that #1 needs a slightly richer mixture, and, given the same mixture in #2cyl, it would produce higher levels of unburnt hydrocarbons.
I mean... a MINUSCULE amount. But, NOTHING is too petty for the EPA....

BTW...gasket kits are so %@#)(&*% expensive these days due to the cost of materials that will stand up to ethanol......

Neo7

Threads
OMG I think I spoke too soon.... Fitted then engine back in the mower last night. This morning I topped up the tank and started her up... Crazy but she wouldn't start as easy as yesterday.
Started mowing and after 10 mins pop, pop, pop!! :confused2: ... Shut off the throttle and lots of hunting at idle. So just playing around I turned the idle screw up/in to meet the throttle linkage. The hunting and popping both stopped but after 20 seconding the idle speed went high so I turned the screw back out again (not as far out as before) to a more reasonable idle speed and all came good.:cool:.. Continued to mow the law and still OK. :cool::cool:
I don't really understand how how carburetion can cause backfire :confused2: but one way or the other this is looking like a carburettor issue. So unless someone says "don't do it" I'm going to order one of those cheap copycat carb from China (comes with a gasket kit)... I know with motorbikes they're pretty good now days and I'm hoping it's the same with mowers too... Wish me luck!:thumbsup:

Neo7

Threads
Yes ... My "holy" gasket was in great condition and the jets on on my emulsion tube were completely clear. On my emulsion tube the jets did not fall out and I did not attempt to remove them. Also spark plugs tips were running much lighter in colour yesterday.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
SEE MY LATEST POST on these carbs ......... Briggs Eng. Section ...

( 2 Barrel NIKKI CARB INFO )

Neo7

Threads
Ok I can see there some great information in those videos. Problem is I taken this carb apart probably 4 or 5 times over the past few months and have cleaned all those jets and holes over that time. So maybe is an o-ring or a gasket which I will have to go and a big hunt for (here in Australia).... Alternatively I could spend AU47 and get a brand new carb with new gaskets, delivered! ... So is fixing the old carb really worth all the effort?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok I can see there some great information in those videos. Problem is I taken this carb apart probably 4 or 5 times over the past few months and have cleaned all those jets and holes over that time. So maybe is an o-ring or a gasket which I will have to go and a big hunt for (here in Australia).... Alternatively I could spend AU47 and get a brand new carb with new gaskets, delivered! ... So is fixing the old carb really worth all the effort?

Be very careful about buying cheap carbs off evilpay.
Check the vendors store or other items.
If they sell everything from condoms to skyrockets, then they are surplus vendors selling mostly reject defective products bought cheap as there is no such things as scrap in China unless it was bought from Simsmetal.
OTOH if most of what they sell is automotive / mower / garden products then it should be a good product.

I get all sorts of stuff come into the workshop where the owners have bough cheap parts off ebay that actually do not fit.
Emulsion tubes that are not drilled , main jets that are not drilled, main jets drilled the wrong size , needle jets with neoprene tips carbs with wrong jets, no idle circuit drillins and don't get me started on cube carbs & chainsaws.