24HP V-Twin B&S - Fault driving me CRAZY!

Neo7

Threads
Boo Boo was the first one to say it in post number 1................
Hope you guys are right .... Wouldn't be the 1st time this engine has had me spend money without success .... If the manifold does cures the problem then I gonna throw a big party and you guys are all invited lol!! :thumbsup:

Threads
Hope you guys are right .... Wouldn't be the 1st time this engine has had me spend money without success .... If the manifold does cures the problem then I gonna throw a big party and you guys are all invited lol!! :thumbsup:

Neo ............ You have to make sure the aluminum manifold is a direct fit and accepts YOUR 2 BBL carb before you order it ..... I thought you had a old one laying around.....

That's one reason I told you not to order a cam before you split the engine.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Mkala

Threads
Following this thread but this looks that is a problem not that easy to spot... :confused2:

If the manifold is the problem, no easy way to test it I think ? otherwise a suggestion would have already been made here

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You test the manifold by running the engine then liberally spraying with WD 40 , Marvel Mystery oil, light machine oil or a similar product from a trigger pack, not a spray can.
You work the governor so the engine is accelerating & decelerating to get good manifold vacuum.
If there is a crack the oil gets drawn in & burned in the engine .
The engine speed will change and you will get oil smoke from the exhaust.
Once you know you have a leak, you go back a repeat the saturation a littl bit at a time till you find the hole.
Not really difficult.

Threads
Following this thread but this looks that is a problem not that easy to spot... :confused2:

If the manifold is the problem, no easy way to test it I think ? otherwise a suggestion would have already been made here

Actually Mon Ami.... he did try spraying around the fitted areas to check..... There is a hair line crack and / or warpage compounding an air leak after the carb......

Time will tell ..............

Plus tard ..........

Threads
You test the manifold by running the engine then liberally spraying with WD 40 , Marvel Mystery oil, light machine oil or a similar product from a trigger pack, not a spray can.
You work the governor so the engine is accelerating & decelerating to get good manifold vacuum.
If there is a crack the oil gets drawn in & burned in the engine .
The engine speed will change and you will get oil smoke from the exhaust.
Once you know you have a leak, you go back a repeat the saturation a littl bit at a time till you find the hole.
Not really difficult.

I agree with you Bert on a hand sprayer with some MMO in it or WD 40 all around it, up the side, around the back and on all the ends......

He hasn't said if it was from a spray or hand spray though.... He did mention he did it all over..... We will see soon he is in your neck of the woods so to speak .......

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What people miss is you really have to saturate the entire area all over which is one reason why you need a trigger pack.
It s not as easy as it sounds particularly on the inside & underside.

The other reason is eyebrows are a not a fashion statement and the propellants are all highly volatile.

You also have to work the throttle .
a delerating engine will suck harder through the carb and of course there is the mechanical vibrations.
I have seen a customer spray a fine mist from 3 feet away claiming to have done the test.
He thought I was having a piece of him when I told him it was nothing more than a bad gasket.
Doing the test twice is also a good idea.
Once on a cold engine and again on a hot engine.

Neo7

Threads
Thanks Bert,

I still have my eyebrows :laughing: and will be back with an update after sourcing an Ali manifold, mounting screws and gaskets :thumbsup:

All the best gents.
Neo

Last edited:
Threads
Thanks Bert,

I still have my eyebrows :laughing: and will be back with an update after sourcing an Ali manifold, mounting screws and gaskets :thumbsup:

All the best gents.
Neo

Neo.................. Before you order a manifold try something that might work........ Get 4 of those gaskets that are used for the aluminum intake..... On each side use 2 gaskets.... Don't use the O rings when you try this.....

This might save you some Monopoly money LOL.... If it don't then you got a hair line crack somewhere .........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!