24 HP twin vertical not running on both cylinders

SHIRLEYLS0327

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 24 HP twin vertical not running on both cylinders
Greetings, I have a Husky riding mower with a Briggs 24 HP that won't run on both cylinders. When i first discovered this, I had 65lb compression on #2 cylinder and 145 on #1 cylinder. Teardown revealed bad rings on #2 piston. I oversized it .020 and did the rebuild. Now I have the same problem. I have a new carb on it but I'm suspect about it as it's the last link in the chain. Spark is very good. Compression is the same on both cylinders. Any help would be most appreciated.

Bertrrr

Threads
If you got good compression and fire , that leaves only fuel as the problem, Timing is not an issue since it runs on one cylinder so concentrate on fuel delivery.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
If you got good compression and fire , that leaves only fuel as the problem, Timing is not an issue since it runs on one cylinder so concentrate on fuel delivery.

I agree with Bertrrr on this one. Do you have a double barrel Nikki carburetor on this engine? Has two different fuel circuits for each cylinder. I have had more than one that would only run on one cylinder as a result. Check the carburetor and make sure you have good strong fuel flow to the carburetor.

SHIRLEYLS0327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply's. I just received my second carb. will try it today. Also as a side note, I had to replace the cam as a lifter was not turning. Had a nice grove in the face. Cam lobe showed wear too.

GearHead36

Threads
Do you still have bad compression on cyl 2? If so, have you checked the valve clearances? When you did the rebuild, did you use a new head gasket?

SHIRLEYLS0327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. Piston rings bad on #2 piston. Oversized to .020. Yes to all other. #2 compression Was 65 lbs. Now about 92 lbs before break in.

Etbrown44

Threads
Give a quick shot of starting fluid into the air intake. If it won't at least fire one time you have narrowed it down to plug, ignition, or carb.

If it fires, you have narrowed it down to the carb.

SHIRLEYLS0327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the new carb solved the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions. NOW, does anyone know the max RPM for this engine? 44R877 0001G1..It has sleeve bearings. I'm clueless with a pressured oil system. Thanks Shirley

GearHead36

Threads
Doesn't pretty much everything get set to 3600 RPMs?

TobyU

Threads
Doesn't pretty much everything get set to 3600 RPMs?
He used to be the case or at least that's what they rated them at and often spec'd them to run but most machines now have been coming lower than that for a couple of decades.
3100 to 3200 is very common and hardly anything goes over 3400.
There are a few commercial applications where they actually state to run them at 3600 or maybe even slightly above that but that is not that common.