24 hp Honda Smoke from flywheel then died

superduty_59

Forum Newbie
I Recently bought a used trade in form where I work. Had 1300 hrs and runs / mows great. I was mowing tonight when my mower died. I thought it was out of gas at first cause it died slowly. I turned to change to other tank and saw smoke coming from flywheel. It was electrical smoke. Engine clicked til I turned off key. I removed engine cover and found starter gear halfway engaged. I pushed down gear with screwdriver. After engine cooled down starter would engage and crank maybe 1 turn and stop. Then a small amount of smoke would come from starter.
Do you think a new starter would get me back in business? Thanks for any help!
 
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would have taken anything else out with it? Do you know how to make it free wheel to tow it up to the house?
 
I turned the key today. Starter kicked in and turned almost a full turn of flywheel. I hooked my meter to battery and set to record. 12.06v before cranking and while cranking 6.16v. I ordered new starter today.
 
Less than a year later it did the same thing. Last time I mowed it wouldn't crank. I pulled the dash panel where the relays are. There are 6 relays. Anyway I swapped relays till it would crank and run. Mowed for 2-3 hours fine. Mowed a few days ago for an hour. The engine started to die so I headed up to the house and it died. Would just click. Next day it would just turn a few degrees and stop. Original (I think) starter was a Denso. I bought an aftermarket starter from ebay. Honda starter was $300 ebay starter was $70. Could the cheap starter be the problem? Bad solenoid? Thanks
 
Back
Top