24 HP B&S in Craftsman Riding Mower

K Smith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 YT 4000 Craftsman lawn tractor with 24 HP B&S Platinum engine and 46 inch deck. Last year started to be hard to start from cold but eventually would start. Saw several thread from replacing plugs to replace fuel filter to replacing "cheap" fuel pump to adjusting throttle linkage. Replaced plugs, fuel filter, and air filter (all yearly items). Still would not start. Took hose off engine side of fuel pump and turned engine over. Fuel pump definitely worked. Pulled hood off so I could see linkage on front of engine. Little saddle clip over linkage was twisted sideways. Of course it took a tec screwdriver to loose the clamp. I pushed the throttle completely to choke and then slid linkage until the choke was completely shut. Tightened screw. Engine started the instant it turned over. Backed off to run and seems to be same RPM. What a simple fix to something that aggravated me the last 3 times I mowed last year. Maybe this post will save some other wannabe mechanics a lot of trouble and trial and error.