22hp Briggs Carb Problem

Shootertexas

Threads
I'm working on a friends 22hp Briggs 44N677-0005-G1.

At first it was a needle valve problem and was leaking gas by and filling the cylinders and crankcase with gas. I took the carb off and replace the needle valve, float and gasket. While it was off I cleaned the passages with carb cleaner.
Once it was reassembled it finally started but was running slow and had some black smoke , a little but not a lot, it like it was flooding. It would not idle up any at all. Throttle position had no bearing on it except when I move it to the choke position where it would die immediately.
I took it off and checked that all the parts where in there proper place and that I hadn't missed something, reassembled and out it back on the motor. Same thing.
It is currently off the machine again and I will look at it further in the morning.

Any incite as to what I have done wrong or any guidance would be helpful.

PS.... before I took it off it ran great, very responsive. Engine only has about 85 hrs on it even though it is 5 years old or there about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You probably hooked the link rods up backwards
If they are the wrong way round, and that is left right not up down, they foul on the manifold.
Not the bestest of of designs.
And before you ask, no I can not remember if they go hook to the left or right I always have to do it wrong then pull the carb off & do it wrong again before I get it right.
The choke can also stick but it has a bit more space.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With that carb there is a good chance that you have lost the main jet out of the bottom of the emulsion tube when you took it off to change the gasket. The like to fall out and disappear when you are not looking. Will be somewhat mushroom shaped with a small O ring to help hold it in place and seal around it but they fit very loose in the bottom of that tube.

Shootertexas

Threads
With that carb there is a good chance that you have lost the main jet out of the bottom of the emulsion tube when you took it off to change the gasket. The like to fall out and disappear when you are not looking. Will be somewhat mushroom shaped with a small O ring to help hold it in place and seal around it but they fit very loose in the bottom of that tube.

You are correct. Apparently it had fallen out and was lost. A new one and o-ring will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Shootertexas

Threads
This thing is driving me batty. I will now run with the main jet in place but now surges and all speeds. If the the lever is pushed up to choke it just a bit it smooths out.
It ran like a champ before with no surging but was flooding the cylinders with gas while off. What have i done wrong?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The govenor is bouncing because the low speed metering circuit in the carb is not working correctly.

Shootertexas

Threads
Is there something I should be looking for when I tear the carburetor down again?