22" Toro Recycler Personal Pace Rescue

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I rescued a Toro Recycler from the local clean-up days a couple days ago.
It would run for a short while if gas was poured down its' throat, then die.
I topped off the fuel tank and sit the mower with the carburetor facing the sun all day.
That evening, after a few sputter/dies, a couple rpm swings, I cut all the grass. Nice Mower!
Look how unburnt the muffler is. Tires don't show wear, either. It was a good day!DSCF3481crpweb.jpgDSCF3479web.JPG

DSCF3482web.JPG

deminin

Threads
These are good mowers. I have one that I bought over 10 years ago, and I had the first problem with it this Spring....the transmission was starting to go. I found a new transmission on EBAY for less than $50, and spent a couple of hours replacing it, and it is like new again. When I took the old transmission apart it looks like the belt drive gear bearing is shot....so sometime this Winter, I'll shop for a new bearing, and rebuild the old transmission and keep it for a spare.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
These are good mowers. I have one that I bought over 10 years ago, and I had the first problem with it this Spring....the transmission was starting to go. I found a new transmission on EBAY for less than $50, and spent a couple of hours replacing it, and it is like new again. When I took the old transmission apart it looks like the belt drive gear bearing is shot....so sometime this Winter, I'll shop for a new bearing, and rebuild the old transmission and keep it for a spare.
So it's over 10 years old and looks like that? I thought it was newer, but I'm happy, nonetheless. I was wondering if it was a good mower, so thanks for the endorsement. It seems to cut well, but it blew dust all over the place. I completely cleaned the mower earlier and these pix are what it looked like after I got done making approx. 20 passes. Maybe because it hasn't rained here in over a week? I had to cut the neighbors grass 'cause that was the only strip that was nothing but dry weeds!

deminin

Threads
So it's over 10 years old and looks like that?

Yes, My old Toro looks almost like new. But then, I only use it for mowing near the house and around some of our dozens of trees....then, I get on my Husqvarna Riding mower to do the bulk of the yard...I keep about 1.5 acres mowed. When done mowing, I always spend a little time giving everything a good cleaning before I put the mowers back in the workshop. Keeping things clean, and doing all the routine maintenance properly extends the life of the equipment and saves me money by not having to buy new stuff every few years.

JBtoro

Threads
Unlike many transmissions, most Personal Pace's are serviceable. There is a cover plate (w/gasket) over the gear housing secured merely by four screws. Take that cover off and grease the two gears. I recommend "00" grease (aka Cotton Picker grease) that I get from Tractor Supply for a mere $5/quart. It is thick enough to provide lube but also thin enough to continually disperse around the gears without being thrown off, like with normal grease, & be uselessly stuck to the housing.

Woody71

Threads
I sold my 16 yr old Toro 20007 earlier this summer. I'd put a lot of transmission work into it over the years. Was mowing and all of a sudden the right front wheel looked like an arm with a compount fracture. Took the right side of the transmission apart and the bearings were shot. Given that the mower had other issues like a warped deck and no clippings bag, I decided it was time for a new one. Bought the same 2020 model and while it works well, I miss that old Tecumseh flatty that started on the first pull. The engine on the new mower (Kohler) starts on the first pull but seems to surge for about 30 seconds before it flattens out. I store my OPE with treated gas over the winter, we'll see how she starts in the spring.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Well, after cutting two lawns without issue, it won't start now.
It cut those two lawns, I had to coax it to start the next day, but still cut the lawn without issue once it did start, and now it wont start at all.
That's probably why it was at the dumpster days event.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it started up fine once then slowly got bad then something has slipped out of adjustment .
I have had problems with the combined brake & ignition cut out bracket bending on similar engines
One time I tossed the whole pile of junk out ,another one I shortened the cable .
I have never understood the blade / engine brake on a push mower philosophy and always put it down to moron Californian legal judgements .

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I just so happened to run across a clearance spark plug for it yesterday. I also got starting fluid and carb cleaner.
I hope it resolves easily since it was just running.