22 HP Briggs & Stratton won't start.

What he is elegantly saying is check your valve lash again.
Intake valve clearance will be between 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08 - 0.13 mm).
Exhaust valve clearance will be between 0.005" - 0.007" (0.13 - 0.18 mm)

I had checked the lash and readjusted at mid point .004" intake and .006" Exhaust. I had tried at minimum and Maximum clearances with no change in symptom. I will go out this morning and try to determine if the compression relief is working.
 
Well not quite.
He is visually checking for decompression, or audiably if you like.
Valve lash can be correct but cam can be work or decompression unit could be broken.
Numbers tend to confuse people but we can all look & listen.
Right now the engine is not starting so we are in diagnosis mode, eliminating things one at a time.

I stand corrected
 
Valve clearance is set with piston 1/4" down from top after top dead center (after compression stroke) I have detailed instructions for adjusting valves plus compression release test. IF compression release isn't working when valve adjustment is correct then a new camshaft is called for. IF you want instructions and or Service Manual, address below put in proper format and remind me model number and what you want.

Surprised you can hold you finger in plug hole and stop engine from turning. Compression release is on the intake valve of this single cylinder engine and Intake will look like it has closed but will be held just a few thousandths off the seat until very late into the compression stroke when it will make the final slight movement to fully closed.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
 
Valve clearance is set with piston 1/4" down from top after top dead center (after compression stroke) I have detailed instructions for adjusting valves plus compression release test. IF compression release isn't working when valve adjustment is correct then a new camshaft is called for. IF you want instructions and or Service Manual, address below put in proper format and remind me model number and what you want.

Surprised you can hold you finger in plug hole and stop engine from turning. Compression release is on the intake valve of this single cylinder engine and Intake will look like it has closed but will be held just a few thousandths off the seat until very late into the compression stroke when it will make the final slight movement to fully closed.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

I have sent you an email.
 
With forum help I found the problem. I pulled the oil filler tube and stuck in a magnet and found some pieces of the compression relief. I now need to replace the cam. Does anyone have a good source for Briggs parts?
 
This is the parts diagram for your engine: partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/331877-2371-g5-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/

The cam gear is part # 793880. It's listed at $95 on the parts list but you can get one on eBay for $65. Please make sure this is what you need before ordering it:

ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-793880-Camshaft-793583-792681-791942-795102-/261522986067?hash=item3ce3fc1453:g:THkAAOxyVaBS88og

It's an OEM part.
 
Back
Top