21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.

Gord Baker

Threads
  • / 21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.
Thanks StarTech, I'll check that out.
But... I'm less concerned about the breaks working than I am about what is causing the loud squealing and the lack of mower movement when brake petal is released.

Are you saying that this is the cause for THAT issue?

Thank you again,
Johnny
As suggested previously, determine which pulley is not rotating. Follow logical progression of belt around idlers and work pulleys. Worry about the Brakes later after you determine that they are fully released.

Bellcrank

Threads
Key # 55 spring will break. Located on the right front under side of the frame close to the side. Easy to miss. 105709x , clutch return spring. Worth a look. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-17 Ground Drive - Craftsman 917 27404 Owner's Manual [Page 38] ManualsLib.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-17 Ground Drive - Craftsman 917 27404 Owner's Manual [Page 38] ManualsLib.png
    378.9 KB · Views: 20

bobbyjcgar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem with a brand new Husqvarna 16 years ago. After filling it with gas, couldn't get it to move off the trailer without lifting the brake/clutch pedal up with my foot. Figured just stiff linkage on a new mower so I put a bungee cord from the pedal arm up to the engine cover. Ran it about 10 hours then it quit moving at all. Looked at drive belt and thought it looked mighty skinny for a 22hp machine. Bought new belt, and wow, the difference. Apparently, to satisfy a customer looking for a new belt and not having one in stock, the dealer swapped belts on machine I ended up buying. You didn't say how many hours on machine or mention belt age/hours. I suggest check for excessively worn belt.

JJF1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi... I was wondering if you guys/gals might be kind enough to try and answer a question for me?
I have a 21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.

When you put it into forward, and let off the break, the belt sequels like crazy and it does not want to move.
(sometimes it will move a bit or try to move, most times not)

But if you pull the break petal all the way up by hand, the squealing goes away and the mower takes off. Once you do this, it will go for a bit and have to do it again. Other times you have to hold it continuously or every 30 seconds or so.

I tried putting a spring on the end of the petal linkage, pulling the linkage shaft toward the front of the mower but then it did not move at all, even though the linkage rod was all the way forward like it would seem to be when you pulled the petal all the way up by hand.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Johnny

PS - Brakes are not working. Brake disk has about -1/16 to 1/8 play in it (side to side), so pins are not pushing metal plate into pad. Simple adjustment I can do.
My craftsman was doing the same thing- belt slipping. When I pulled back on the brake it would go. One of the problems I found on mine was that some frame bolts had come out and my frame was bending making the belt lose. I fixed the frame and it helped a lot, but not enough so I purchased a 1 inch smaller sized belt and that did the trick.

BiggyJ

Threads
Key # 55 spring will break. Located on the right front under side of the frame close to the side. Easy to miss. 105709x , clutch return spring. Worth a look. Good luck.
Checked spring. It's OK. Thank you for your help!

BiggyJ

Threads
Hey guys... do all you pro tecs only replace belts with OEM belts or is there another brand that you trust that's less money and can be picked up at like Home Depo, Lowes or Ace?

If so, would you please give me some part number (both belts) for the model number below?

Model # 917.274040

Thank you,
John

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
MOWER BELT
OEM craftsman Part #174883
or a

5/8 width x 90-3/32 length inch​

belt will work.

DRIVE belt
Craftsman #140294
OR

1/2 width x 82-in length

belt will work.

Stens, Rotary Corp, and Prime Line are good aftermarket belts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a clutching belt designed to slip so must be fully wrapped and hopefully kevlar™ reinforced.
They are also usually an odd length
So standard V belts will not do the job

BiggyJ

Threads
Thank you guys. Let you know how it turns out :)

BiggyJ

Threads
OK everyone, problem solved. Thank you all for your kind help. As it turned out, the old adage "the simplest solution is usually the correct solution". Replaced both belts, works like new again.

However, I did learn a valuable lesson today. Always read the specs on the belt itself and NEVER go by only the belt holder package specs.
I could not find the 1/2"x82" brand belt (main drive belt) that I wanted so I decided to just pick up any brand belt at Home Depo. Found a package that said 1/2"x82", so paid for it and started back home from this 60 mile (one way) trip.

I go home and put the belt on and it was way, way big. Crap, so thought to read the numbers on belt itself and holy crap... 1/2"x88". Wow, I was pissed, I'm on Disability and paying for gas even to go that distance on the 20th. of the month was a bit tough. So... then I had the pleasure of doing it all again.
So this time I got a Blue Husky Kevlar belt.

Well, seems this day just is not going to end well with this mower venture. My wife just came in and says that now it has no reverse. What in the world could I have done to cause this? My wife says that when you put it in reverse, sometimes it will try to engage and and sometimes it will move a bit and sometimes it just does nothing.

Last edited: