21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.

BiggyJ

Threads
  • / 21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.
Hi... I was wondering if you guys/gals might be kind enough to try and answer a question for me?
I have a 21hp V-Twin Craftsman B&S engine - on a DYT4000, with a go issue.

When you put it into forward, and let off the break, the belt sequels like crazy and it does not want to move.
(sometimes it will move a bit or try to move, most times not)

But if you pull the break petal all the way up by hand, the squealing goes away and the mower takes off. Once you do this, it will go for a bit and have to do it again. Other times you have to hold it continuously or every 30 seconds or so.

I tried putting a spring on the end of the petal linkage, pulling the linkage shaft toward the front of the mower but then it did not move at all, even though the linkage rod was all the way forward like it would seem to be when you pulled the petal all the way up by hand.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Johnny

PS - Brakes are not working. Brake disk has about -1/16 to 1/8 play in it (side to side), so pins are not pushing metal plate into pad. Simple adjustment I can do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts squeal because they are running on something that is not turning with them
Check all of the pulleys
Also check the pivot point for the tension pulley arm they flog out oval
Also check where the clutch/brake pedal comes to rest under the mower
Debris builds up under the frame and stops the pedal moving all the way to the off position.

BiggyJ

Threads
Hi bertsmobile1, thank you.

Everything is fine when you pull up on brake pedal lever... so pulleys are not the problem.
Don't know what "flog out oval" means. But... tension pulley arm pivot point seems fine.
No debris build up. All is free moving without obstruction.

Thank you,
Johnny

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up the mower's model number off of the tag under the seat.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't know what "flog out oval" means.
Maybe this example will help. The left idler arm is borderline good and the right one is bad. Notice bad out round the large pivot is on the right one when compared to the only slightly out round the left is. This a deck idler arm and the blade brakes on both unit were not working.
P02-14-05_16.06.jpg

BiggyJ

Threads
Maybe this example will help. The left idler arm is borderline good and the right one is bad. Notice bad out round the large pivot is on the right one when compared to the only slightly out round the left is. This a deck idler arm and the blade brakes on both unit were not working.
View attachment 56033
Thanks StarTech, I'll check that out.
But... I'm less concerned about the breaks working than I am about what is causing the loud squealing and the lack of mower movement when brake petal is released.

Are you saying that this is the cause for THAT issue?

Thank you again,
Johnny

BiggyJ

Threads
Ideas anyone?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think Star Tech is referring that the idler arm that puts tension on your drive belt may be wore out and you pulling up on the brake some more may take up some of the slack.

BiggyJ

Threads
That's what I thought too but when I put a spring on the linkage, it made it not want to move at all. Maybe I put the spring in the wrong place.