Engine 21hp carb. problems?

bigfuzzy

Threads
I have a 21/48 mower. have problems with running. after a month or so it starts over loading, will start coming & going, spark plugs will sut up. usually i have to change the air filter, some times i can get by with just blowing it out. changed from rcy12 to 14 plugs & that seamed to help a small amount.
when you change air filters you have to use 1 rated for 21hp engine, the ones rated for less wll not last as long. as these filters are expensive, do you know of any cure & cheaper filters? anyone else have this problem & know a cure?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It sounds like the carburetor float is faulty and letting too much fuel into it, and thus, too much fuel into the engine.

That would also cause the air filter to foul, as it would start to get soaked in fuel.

As for the filter, I don't know of a cheaper one, but you should clean out your carburetor before you spend any more money on spark plugs and air filters.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keeping the filter clean is going to be a challenge on some engines... If there is any way to change to a Donaldson type air filter it will fix your plugging filter problem... If you have the room and want to make te conversion, you may find a used filter system almost all commercial power equipment operated in dirty conditions have this type filter system...
:smile:KennyV

bigfuzzy

Threads
could it be possable that coil is going bad or that i am getting weakened fire to plugs

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
could it be possable that coil is going bad or that i am getting weakened fire to plugs

That is possible BUT... if changing the air filter corrects the problem... It is not going to be an ignition problem.
If something in the carb is causing it to run too rich, that problem will stay with you even when the air filter is removed... :smile:KennyV

bigfuzzy

Threads
or would it let it cool down enough to run. air cleaner doesnt work every time. does it have an electronic control box?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What in the world is plugging your air filter in one month . Something just don't sound right. If it is dirt what are you mowing? Do you have the foam prefilter on yours? Is it plugging up on the in side or outside? I only change mine once a season and never had one plug up. I don't know where you buy your filters but I buy mine from a auto parts store like NAPA. I can't see if your carburetor is letting too much fuel in and runing rich would plug a air filter?? Maybe a bad or tight intake valve would do that?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What engine do you have on your mower. Model info would help a lot.