21" 4hp Briggs YardMachine PM

samoset

Threads
Just inherited ^said mower^ from the living and telling them I don't Want it and id rather buy a mower that will do what I need it to do is not an option! When I first received the mower it would not start no doubt to old gas. A little ether and and premium fuel fixd that prob fairly easily oil was low so I threw the remnants of a 5w30 and some sae 30 in there just to keep it from being below the hash marks on the dip stick!

Now I want to change the oil. My guess is 5w-
30 by instinct . But I'm open to any advice I'm a mason and a cook not a mechanic I have a mechanic but Im not about to pay him to change the oil in my mower!

I cleand the foam air filter with gasoline today! If this is a bad idea please advice me!

As im a hard working father of three just trying to keep the yard nice for the two dogs and kids! I have 3.5 acres of fairly ruff cutting which most defiantly will be the demise of this mower but sense it was free I will use it as long as I can keep it running reasonably !

Any preventive maintenance advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Samoset!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
5w-30 and 10w-30 may result in increased oil use but can be used. Cleaning the air filter with gas is a bad idea because it can damage the air filter leading to dirt getting into the engine and destroying in very quickly. Soap and water is best, but have used parts cleaner solvent in a pinch.

samoset

Threads
Thanks for the reply I have a full quart of sae 30w hd motor oil if that would be a better choice?

twinfords

Threads
yes straight 30 weight is better, also 3 acres of grass will kill that mower and you. have fun.

samoset

Threads
Well changed the oil in that there machine! Put from what I could tell about twenty ounces in it! That new oil is real hard to read on the dipstick so I ran it for about 30 min! I'll check level again afterwork tomorrow! Hopefully it will have a little more color to it!

The mower seems to run at a lot lower idle then my last yard machine similar model ! Any way to kick that up a smidge?

I have some thick stuff to cut thrugh makes for some slow walking! I looked at the carb no way I could tell of the bat! Maybe with proper instruction?

samoset

Threads
Well sense I've changed the oil this mower I've put a full 3 hrs on her! Of some pretty ruff cutting might I add ! At this rate I intend to change the oil again after 20hrs.

I would like to put what is best for this machine in it? Any suggestions? I put (Phillips 66 super HD II SAE 30 heavy duty engine oil) in it this time! All the local gas station had available that seemd appropriate.

I would also like to put a new spark plug in it! Aswell as a new mulching blade!

So any suggestions on blade plug or oil type upgrades will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!