2021 MZ Magnum 54 won't start and battery cables are hot

JayT50

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2021 MZ Magnum 54 won't start and battery cables are hot
I just bought a 2021 MZ Magnum 54 from FB marketplace. I noticed when I first started the mower it had a delay, a drag, and after one or two drags, the mower turned over and started. The guy said he had just replaced the battery and based on the sticker date, that was true. I used the mower 2-3 times, same issue, slow to turn over, almost like the battery was weak. Yesterday I finished mowing, and I blew off the dust from the deck before returning it to the garage. When I turned the key, no start, a click or two, a really slow crank, and nothing. I looked at the cables to the battery to see if they were tight and I noticed both positive and negative cable ends were really hot. I tried to arc the solenoid, and turned over some, better than it had, but would not start. I also. noticed the ignition key is stuck inside the ignition. I looked for burnt or bare wires, loose wires, etc and didn't find anything. I was going to replaces battery cables, solenoid and the ignition switch. Any other possible reasons for slow to no crank and hot battery cables? Thanks

Bertrrr

Threads
Hot cable ends indicate bad connection , clean that up first and test the battery to make sure it's the right CCA and look at those connections as well as the ends at the starter and grnd. If all those are tested good , pull the starter and bench test it - does not sound like your solenoid to me. or your ignition switch.

JayT50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hot cable ends indicate bad connection , clean that up first and test the battery to make sure it's the right CCA and look at those connections as well as the ends at the starter and grnd. If all those are tested good , pull the starter and bench test it - does not sound like your solenoid to me. or your ignition switch.
I checked the starter. It spins, but I noticed that the bendex doesn't disengage. Maybe it's suppose to stay engaged but I thought it retracted after start up? I'm guessing if it's not suppose to disengage that the starter is bad even if it spins. If it doesn't disengage and is engaged to the flywheel it would spin the entire time. Am I on the right track? Thanks

Bertrrr

Threads
It should disengage when the machine starts , the momentum of the ring gear should shoot it back down to it's normal position, I had one that didn't disengage once and drug the motor down b/c it kept it in a bind , you can pull it and lube it up real good and make sure the springs are in tact. When bench testing it probably will stay in the " engaged " position - this is normal for a bench test.
I don't think this has anything to do with your hot cables unless the starter is dragging from wear and tear.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
you can pull it and lube it up real good
Lube attracts grit. Asking for total failure. Clean and or polish the bendix shaft if possible. The most lube I would use is silicone spray followed up with compressed air. Lube is your last option. New starters are clean and don't hang up.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Having to have a battery replaced at two years old should be a red flag. Batteries last way longer than that normally. Hot cables imply significant current going through them. Which may be why the first battery died. Given the starter problems maybe something is shorted out within it?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having to have a battery replaced at two years old should be a red flag. Batteries last way longer than that normally. Hot cables imply significant current going through them. Which may be why the first battery died. Given the starter problems maybe something is shorted out within it?
Most people also leave the battery outside in the cold over the winter. No trickle charge for several months. Then expect them to last 10 years. These are not tractor batteries.

JayT50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most people also leave the battery outside in the cold over the winter. No trickle charge for several months. Then expect them to last 10 years. These are not tractor batteries.
I live in Florida. The mower is used 9-10 months out of the year.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I live in Florida. The mower is used 9-10 months out of the year.
Good to know. Your battery should last longer than most.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Actually, heat can kill a battery quicker than cold. Regardless, 2 years is far too short of a life unless it was abused or replaced mistakenly thinking the battery was at fault when it was something else. Look elsewhere. A dying battery isn't going to heat up your cables.