2021 BB Rogue engine struggling

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the bottom of the carb there is a drain screw. Take clear container and loosen the screw and drain the bowl. If it has water in it, it will settle to the bottom and you will be able to see it.

HunterTR

Threads
In the bottom of the carb there is a drain screw. Take clear container and loosen the screw and drain the bowl. If it has water in it, it will settle to the bottom and you will be able to see it.
Thanks. Out of town for the week but have some things to try when I get back. I'll post results when I have them.

HunterTR

Threads
Ok - here's an update. Ran it down to 1/8 of a tank last week and drained the rest out. Filled back up halfway with fresh gas. Ran okay for a bit after that. Started it up today and cut the flat part of my yard (about an acre). Ran fine for about 45 minutes. I turned off the mower deck to move to a different part - still all flat - and after driving about 30 yards I turned the deck back on. It immediately started struggling. If I tried to move forward (still completely flat ground) it would bog down and almost die. I had to shut it off completely and then restart it. After restarting, it ran fine again. Grass is finish cut so the bogging down had nothing to do with grass height.

Came in for lunch and then went back out to cut around my house. Immediately started struggling again. Starting and stopping made no difference.

No clue at this point, so probably headed to the shop for the second time in a little over a year that I have owned it....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Struggeling with the blades on but running fine when they are turned off is a sign of reduced fuel supply .
I would be draining the tank then washing it out
Floating debris, usually grass clippings can partially block off the fuel outlet

ChillyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also thing it's a fuel quality issue. I'd give it a carb rebuild. Id also drain the tanks and get them completely empty before refilling. You could have had some residual ethanol slime in a low point after draining.

Your carb might be plugged where it'll marginally fuel the engine until the slightest bit of ethanol water/slime hits it. I'd also replace fuel lines.

Outboard boat motor experience: that glossy gray fuel line is of the devil. It has a lining that delaminates and acts like a check valve. Doesnt belong on a mower but people do stuff to things.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have an old fuel can that the spout is wide open?
1659955435652.jpeg

Or a new can that is a pain to pour out of? Spout sealed up like a bank vault? I recommend this one below in red. Mine is spring loaded with o-rings keeping the can sealed. This type keeps the fuel much longer before going stale. Get one for all your cans.
1659955453523.jpeg

HunterTR

Threads
Final update - took it to a shop and determined it was a bad plug. I had replaced both plugs a few weeks ago, but apparently one was bad. Guy at the shop identified it as soon as I fired it up and backed it off the trailer. He said it sounded like it was only running one one cylinder initially, and then the second one kicked in a few seconds later. Probably why the issue was intermittent (sometimes struggled and other times didn't). Shop replaced the bad plug and ran it for a while to confirm everything was okay. Didn't charge me too much for the simple fix 🙂. I ran it for 3-4 hours this weekend and had no issues, so at this point it appears the issue is resolved.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Interesting. Thanks for the update. You just don't hear about spark plugs going bad very much these days.

ChillyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad it was inexpensive. What was brand of the failed plug? Champion? Or a Chinketty brand from an Amazon service kit?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting. Thanks for the update. You just don't hear about spark plugs going bad very much these days.
You do if you run a repair workshop
Car plugs don't give the same problems as they used to but mower engines do
because of EPA regulations the centre electrode is no longer glazed so if a spark starts tracking down it there is no fix other than change it .
Cleaning it with a wire brush will create a tracking path