2016 X310 won't start

CraigH

Threads
I think bert and slomo have it summed up rrally, check valves/pushrods and make sure it's actually getting fuel to the engine and not just to the carb.
It certainly sounds like it need fuel in the engine if it runs on starting fluid, which would also point towards the valves working correctly (but bear in mind that theres no guarantee they're working well enough to run on straight fuel just from this).

If it was me, I'd start by checking fuel is getting to the carb, then check valve clearances (to make sure they're opening enough to allow enough fuel in to the engine to run).
If this all checks out, you need to check if fuel is getting to the engine (which sounds like the problem). This could be as simple as a carb clean/rebuild, but you'd need to make sure it's nothing above before wasting your time rebuilding the carb for no reason )especially if the mower isn't very old).

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Why would you buy Kawasaki engine parts from JD. They are more reasonable when you go through a Kawasaki dealer or an independent shop that has access to the Kawasaki parts. Those ignition coils are only $70 list from Kawasaki. And of course my cost is only $55.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree; OEM parts have the same quality as the mower and are the first choice. However, when JD charges $200 for a carb solenoid, and Amazon has them for $24, I'll go with the $24 variety every time. At 12% of OEM, I can buy a lot of solenoids.
And you will be a regular on here looking for help too. Welcome to the party.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reason why the planet is going to hell in a handbasket is because of the wasteful nature of our existance.
So if you want your grandchildren to be able to survive then you need to change your mindset
Yes you can affod to buy 50 solenoids till you get one that works but the planet can not

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The reason why the planet is going to hell in a handbasket is because of the wasteful nature of our existance.
So if you want your grandchildren to be able to survive then you need to change your mindset
Yes you can affod to buy 50 solenoids till you get one that works but the planet can not
Very true. Many after market parts are just that, junk. I just went through 3 Oregon fuel pumps because they fail within minutes of being installed. I also had to replace an Oregon ignition switch I installed last summer because they used the cheapest materials and it had rusted up. I went back with a regular OEM Indak switch from Stens. Yes I paid more for it but I will not need to change it for a long time or until the mower shorts out another PTO clutch.

Now when you are in the business of repairs you do learn (or should learn) that many parts are used on different OEM equipment are the same ones with just different PNs and pricing. This all part of procurement management of parts. When with good procurement practices and good cross referencing of part numbers the repair shop as save both themselves and the customers by lowering the overall costs of parts.

Last edited:

TomfromMaine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Agreed, some OEM parts are the same with different part numbers. Years ago, my brother had a Harley, and plugs were $6. He did a cross-reference check and discovered Harley used the same plug that fits a Chevy 6. The kicker is the Chevy plug was $1.50!

wolfey01

Threads
This may be totally off, but my x320 wouldn't start, but would run on carb spray. I checked the manual, and apparently there is some kind of emission control garbage on the engine. The fuel cap has to be turned until it "clicks", (I turned mine until I heard 2 clicks) Viola! It started and ran fine . Like I said, might not be the problem, but costs nothing to try! Good Luck!

tdoyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, not sure if you've solved this yet, but I had a similar experience where my Cub Cadet (kohler motor) would die right around half a tank. I replaced coil, fuel pump, carburetor (motor had 800 hours on it, so why not!) Still same issue. I finally pulled the back end of mower apart to get to fuel tank. Turns out the barb coming off the tank for the fuel line had shrunk to next to nothing! I reemed it out, put ti back together, and all good!