2015 Toro v-twin won't start

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For the one millionth+ time you can not fully test ignition coils that has the electronic trigger enclosed in the coil. In order to test these other than plug and play requires a very expensive tester that most shops don't have. You can only test the secondary side (high voltage side)

rhkraft

Threads
I am thinking it is out of time. Spark plug wires reversed? Other timing issues? I saw this happen on an old pickup truck in 1976 when one of my employees took out the distributor to install new points and re-installed the distributor 180 degrees out of phase.

rhkraft

Threads
I am thinking it is out of time. Spark plug wires reversed? Other timing issues? I saw this happen on an old pickup truck in 1976 when one of my employees took out the distributor to install new points and re-installed the distributor 180 degrees out of phase.

johnny7

Threads
Adjusted the coils and valves. I have spark but not sure how strong the spark should be, for comparison. Battery is charged and engine spins well, plenty of compression. Fresh gas and cleaned carb. I even sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the cylinders after checking for spark. Would not even fire once. What else should I check?
any update to your issue? I'm following and curious as to the resolution.

dtestin

Threads
I am going to check the flywheel shear pin but not until about 3/16. Maybe plugs and recheck valve clearances if the pin is good. Compression is about 150/145.

Chipg1956

Threads
Usually all these small V twins will start and run on one cylinder so it seems likely that you have a problem that effects both, most of which have already been suggested. I have found that many Kawasaki's have a tendency to cut spark plug wires on sharp sheet metal, you should check this to prevent future problems. I have also found that most of the v twins produce enough power that they can be running on one cylinder and the owner will not even notice. Therefore it is possible that you have 2 separate problems that effect the cylinders.

Etbrown44

Threads
If it won't fire on starting fluid, and if you have compression, chances are it's the plug or ignition.

Get a spark tester on amazon for $8. Set it for 10mm or lawn mower.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Place engine in a fairly dark area and spin it over while grounding the spark plug to the engine..You want a bright blue colored spark,not a weak white or yellow colored spark.. you need at least 90 psi to start an engine and it to run well.. If you have good enough compression,blue spark,good fresh fuel and it's making it into and out of the carb along with clean air and still doesn't start then I'd check the flywheel key to see if it's sheared and spun the flywheel making the timing so far off..
The color f the spark tells you about the weather, not the value of the spark. Spark jumping the proper gap is proper spark but I suspect your flywheel key is partially or totally sheared changing the timing of the spark.

TobyU

Threads
But highly unlikely if not impossible to happen on a lawn mower.
Only the old engines that were horizontally opposed typically had a coil with two wires coming out of it and even then they designed it sometimes so they wouldn't reach to the other plug but in reality it probably wouldn't have mattered much. Lol
Most of the ones like the v-twins all have two individual coils so you certainly couldn't reach the plug wire to the opposite side because it wouldn't be long enough.
Typically if you can see any spark at all, or if it will tickle your fingers when you spin it by hand a little bit which I don't like to do because I hate to be shocked, then it's fine spark wise.
The next thing to do is always give it an external fuel source because about 9 plus times out of 10 it is not getting enough fuel so I always start there instead of starting a spark.

If it doesn't fire that way or if it pops or does anything odd then it's not a bad idea to check the flywheel key but I typically just pull both plugs out and stick my finger in the hole and spin it over to make sure it goes puff puff puff puff puff and then it never sucks my finger in the hole or does a double puff or irregular pattern etc.

So out of the few that it's not fuel related from my first test, I'm able to determine that it's a cylinder compression valve problem by the second test because either I will have no compression or it will try to suck my finger back in the hole which means the valves are not closing properly for the no compression or when it sucks your finger back in it means the intake isn't opening so you probably have rocker arms loose or hanging there or been pushrods etc.

Another option on the one cylinder without compression is that the Piston isn't moving up and down from a snapped Rod so you want to look in there with a flashlight or stick a straw or something in the hole to make sure you can prove the piston is going both up and down repeatedly.

This diagnostic procedure will lead you to the problem over 98 times out of 100.
Now fixing the problem of why you may not have compression in one cylinder or why it may be sucking your finger in and not opening the intake valve is a different matter but that normally does not involve removing the head but most people's first step is just start yanking things apart and pull the head off when it's not even necessary.

Another good percentage go out and buy a new head and waste somewhere between 85 and 185 when they did not have to do that at all.
If you do find that push rods, it is highly unlikely to fix it by putting new push rods in because most likely they will bend immediately on spin up because typically that is a slipped valve guide which is preventing the valve from moving far enough when the rocker arm pushes on it and the weak link is the push rod when they have aluminum push rods. When they don't, it often tears the rocker arm.

As you can tell, I've seen a lot of these. Far more than I wish existed because it's just shoddy execution of a fairly decent design and situation but they drop the ball at the end making things durable enough by simply pressing valve seats in and valve guides in and not using loctite or a lock washer on the rocker arm studs into the head and simply not making the valve train adjustments and fasteners durable enough to hold things in place without vibrating loose.
This is different than the head gasket blowing problem on the Briggs which is a design flaw and not execution of the assembly.

Gord Baker

Threads
Adjusted the coils and valves. I have spark but not sure how strong the spark should be, for comparison. Battery is charged and engine spins well, plenty of compression. Fresh gas and cleaned carb. I even sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the cylinders after checking for spark. Would not even fire once. What else should I check?
Pull off the Recoil cover and carefully inspect the Keyway and Crankshaft key. Slots should line up exactly.
When the blade(s) strike a solid object the key is designed to shear partially or completely so the Crankshaft is not damaged. Replace key with an OEM one.