2015 Husky LT4200

jason.samford

Forum Newbie
Threads
Afternoon everyone, I have a 2015 Husky LT4200, with the MTD Powermore 420cc engine P90 series engine. The problem I am having is that it will start fine, and will run great for a while, then it will act like its starving for fuel and die and wont restart again and stay running till it cools off. Sometimes if I immediately choke it, it will continue to run for maybe 30 additional seconds. its not a definitive time like 10 minutes that it will run, most of the time its under 5 minutes other times it may run for 30 or more minutes before it dies. I did a little research and found that sometimes the anti fire solenoid will fail, so I replaced that, didn't help. I replaced the fuel filter every spring, but replaced it again for good measure, no difference. I ordered a new carb w/a new solenoid, and that didn't help. It has a very good strong spark, when its cold, and right after it dies. I checked and reset the valve lash per MTD specs .005 for intake and .007 for exhaust, no difference. I replaced the fuel cap, no change. I replaced the fuel lines, no change. Today I reset the air gap on the coil to MTD specs .020 on the magnets, no chance. I have ran out of ideas or things that I can think of to check, does anyone have any experience with this or know what I can do, other than pouring a gallon of gas on it and striking a match!

jason.samford

Forum Newbie
Threads
Afternoon everyone, I have a 2015 Husky LT4200, with the MTD Powermore 420cc engine P90 series engine. The problem I am having is that it will start fine, and will run great for a while, then it will act like its starving for fuel and die and wont restart again and stay running till it cools off. Sometimes if I immediately choke it, it will continue to run for maybe 30 additional seconds. its not a definitive time like 10 minutes that it will run, most of the time its under 5 minutes other times it may run for 30 or more minutes before it dies. I did a little research and found that sometimes the anti fire solenoid will fail, so I replaced that, didn't help. I replaced the fuel filter every spring, but replaced it again for good measure, no difference. I ordered a new carb w/a new solenoid, and that didn't help. It has a very good strong spark, when its cold, and right after it dies. I checked and reset the valve lash per MTD specs .005 for intake and .007 for exhaust, no difference. I replaced the fuel cap, no change. I replaced the fuel lines, no change. Today I reset the air gap on the coil to MTD specs .020 on the magnets, no chance. I have ran out of ideas or things that I can think of to check, does anyone have any experience with this or know what I can do, other than pouring a gallon of gas on it and striking a match!

Oh and I forgot to add that the air filter and spark plug have both been changed with no changes either.

NorthBama

Threads
use an inline spark tester to see if it has spark after it stops

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When the engine starts to die loosing or remove the fuel cap and see what happens. Mowers since 2012 have non vented fuel caps. Most have a second line that comes off the top of the fuel tank that either goes to the air cleaner housing for low vacuum, and some connect to a charcoal canister that may be cleared by vacuum from the engine and some are vapor return when the engine is running and the pending vacuum in the fuel tank draws the fuel vapor out of the canister. the problem with the canister system is, if it get contaminated with raw fuel, the charcoal basically turns into a non venting brick.

jason.samford

Forum Newbie
Threads
When the engine starts to die loosing or remove the fuel cap and see what happens. Mowers since 2012 have non vented fuel caps. Most have a second line that comes off the top of the fuel tank that either goes to the air cleaner housing for low vacuum, and some connect to a charcoal canister that may be cleared by vacuum from the engine and some are vapor return when the engine is running and the pending vacuum in the fuel tank draws the fuel vapor out of the canister. the problem with the canister system is, if it get contaminated with raw fuel, the charcoal basically turns into a non venting brick.

Yes mine has the hose that goes from the top of my fuel tank to the base of the air filter, cap on or off it still does the same thing, but never the less I still replaced the cap, and did a vacuum check on the tank, holds vacuum and releases when cracking the cap open, I also checked the hose, shop air blows thru it with no problem, the vacuum off the tube sticking out of the air filter housing is too low to measure with my gauge, but I can feel it sucking when I plug it with my finger.

satcom221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes mine has the hose that goes from the top of my fuel tank to the base of the air filter, cap on or off it still does the same thing, but never the less I still replaced the cap, and did a vacuum check on the tank, holds vacuum and releases when cracking the cap open, I also checked the hose, shop air blows thru it with no problem, the vacuum off the tube sticking out of the air filter housing is too low to measure with my gauge, but I can feel it sucking when I plug it with my finger.

Look to see how the fuel line is routed near the motor. If the line is very close it could heat up causing vapor lock.

Jlaanderson75

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lt4200 is doing the same thing. I have replaced spark plug, fuel line and fuel filter, fuel solenoid, air filter, oil filter, and still only runs a couple of minutes and dies? Did anyone find a fix?