2010 ltx 1040 no start

MAguln8839

Threads
No start on Ltx1040. Engine cranks, headlights are on, but will not start. As far as I can tell there is no spark. I am not an engine expert, but I suspect the ignition module is bad and have ordered a new one. Anyone else have any ideas? I think I am on the right track. Thanks in advance.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most businesses when you buy a electrical part you own it and can't take it back, so make sure the old one is bad before paying for a new one. The very first thing when testing for spark always isolate the engine and chassis so you know where to look.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
First check 20 amp fuse for being blown, between ignition switch & starter located in wire harness. If you replace fuse & it blows again you have an electrical problem. Google: Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manuals, scroll down to Ltx tractors, click, & click on electrical troubleshooting, step by step information, possible safety switch issue. You can purchase fuses at any auto parts store.

MAguln8839

Threads
First check 20 amp fuse for being blown, between ignition switch & starter located in wire harness. If you replace fuse & it blows again you have an electrical problem. Google: Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manuals, scroll down to Ltx tractors, click, & click on electrical troubleshooting, step by step information, possible safety switch issue. You can purchase fuses at any auto parts store.

If the fuse was blown, wouldn't you expect the starter not to turn? In my case the starter turns and the engine cranks, but the engine wont run. Unless the fuse is after the starter?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have owed this mower from new go to the opertors mnual.
Everything it tells you to do before you start it will have a micro switch atached to it.
One of ore of these is not working , has been unpluged or has a broken wire.
You check by isolating the ignition module from the rest of the mower.
If you get a spark it is the mower if not then it is the module.
Be cautious doing this if the mower starts you will need to reconnect the module to stop it.
If you have left it in gear it will move.

MAguln8839

Threads
If you have owed this mower from new go to the opertors mnual.
Everything it tells you to do before you start it will have a micro switch atached to it.
One of ore of these is not working , has been unpluged or has a broken wire.
You check by isolating the ignition module from the rest of the mower.
If you get a spark it is the mower if not then it is the module.
Be cautious doing this if the mower starts you will need to reconnect the module to stop it.
If you have left it in gear it will move.

Thanks Guys,
I will give this a try and report back. The mower was running and then I turned it off and it would not restart after a short break. I know the PTO switch and brake switch is working properly because the engine will not even crank if the brake is not pressed or the PTO is engaged. I have ordered a new seat switch and ignition module, and will try some more troubleshooting when they arrive.
Thanks again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Guys,
I will give this a try and report back. The mower was running and then I turned it off and it would not restart after a short break. I know the PTO switch and brake switch is working properly because the engine will not even crank if the brake is not pressed or the PTO is engaged. I have ordered a new seat switch and ignition module, and will try some more troubleshooting when they arrive.
Thanks again.

I am not a fan of just buying parts till its fixed. Find the problem first, then buy the part to fix it. If its not the module or seat switch what's next? It could just be a loose wire? If I did that to a mower that come into my shop for repairs the customer wouldn't be very happy. Your money and mower, it would be cheaper to bring it to a repair shop if you don't trouble shoot first.

MAguln8839

Threads
I am not a fan of just buying parts till its fixed. Find the problem first, then buy the part to fix it. If its not the module or seat switch what's next? It could just be a loose wire? If I did that to a mower that come into my shop for repairs the customer wouldn't be very happy. Your money and mower, it would be cheaper to bring it to a repair shop if you don't trouble shoot first.

True, but I also learn as I go. I don't work on mowers or engines, so it is a learning curve. Next stop will be the shop, but if I can throw a few dollars at it and fix it myself next time it will be easier. I would have to pay $40-50 dollars just to have them pick it up and deliver it back, and if I fix it myself I get more satisfaction, but you do have a valid point also.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level.
Some of the switches will not cut out a running engine ( which mkes the a bit useless in MHO ) but will prevent restarting if the oil level is low.
If that cost you $ 50 to find out, it will be an expensive lesson.
Pull the engine cover off and trace back the thin black wire on the coil to the plug.
Disconnect that plug.
If the engine fires up you have a problem with the wiring on the mower.
If the engine has a solenoid hanging off the carb, you can mow like this in a pinch but you will not be recharging the battery and all of the safety switches will be disabled so you need to be a bit more careful than normal.

MAguln8839

Threads
Check the oil level.
Some of the switches will not cut out a running engine ( which mkes the a bit useless in MHO ) but will prevent restarting if the oil level is low.
If that cost you $ 50 to find out, it will be an expensive lesson.
Pull the engine cover off and trace back the thin black wire on the coil to the plug.
Disconnect that plug.
If the engine fires up you have a problem with the wiring on the mower.
If the engine has a solenoid hanging off the carb, you can mow like this in a pinch but you will not be recharging the battery and all of the safety switches will be disabled so you need to be a bit more careful than normal.

Thanks Bertsmobile,
Now that is good info. So if I pull the small black wire on the ignition module and the engine starts, then its a safety switch issue. And hopefully if it doesn't fire up its the module. Those are the tricks I need to fix. Thanks so much. I will try that over the weekend.