2010 craftsman 21hp wont crank more than 1 rev.

EVT123

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2010 craftsman with a 21 hp briggs will only crank 1 revolution then stop, I can manually turn it past that point then it will crank 1 more rev. starting system checks out, I adjusted the valves - no improvement. I have been told it could be an internal compression release on the cam - does this sound accurate and or common? if so is it worth repairing?
Thanks

gfp55

Threads
My 2010 craftsman with a 21 hp briggs will only crank 1 revolution then stop, I can manually turn it past that point then it will crank 1 more rev. starting system checks out, I adjusted the valves - no improvement. I have been told it could be an internal compression release on the cam - does this sound accurate and or common? if so is it worth repairing?
Thanks
Yes that is accurate and it is a common problem and I think it is worth repairing.

EVT123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input - I will investigate the cost further.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your oil level, if it is right on the line, pull the plug and see if it will spin over properly. If it is over filled smell the dipstick. If it smells like gas, your float needle in the carb and the crankcase is now filled with a fuel/oil mixture. You will have to drain the oil and have the carb rebuilt.

primerbulb120

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had this same problem on a Cub Cadet LT1050, and it turned out that the battery was actually too small. This may not be your problem, but check the battery and connections to make sure they are large enough and in good condition.

PS: If you own a boat with a trolling motor, try disconnecting the existing battery and hooking the mower up to your trolling motor battery.

EVT123

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks , I will check that.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Thanks

Does it turn over normally with the spark plug out of it?

EVT123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it will turn over without the plug in it.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you checked valve clearances then it does sound like a decomp problem but better check easy things 1st.

Do Rivets check 1st as its quick and easy.

What engine? Assume model 31 briggs single cyl.
What did you set valve clearances too?
How did you do it?
You have to have piston 1/4 inch past tdc on power stroke.
Servicing Engine Valves | Mower & Small Engine Repair | Briggs & Stratton FAQ

Use this link and some you tube videos.
Also check electrical connections and make sure battery is good.