2008 LT1000 19.5 B&S Not starting after running outta fuel

Squawk7700

Threads
  • / 2008 LT1000 19.5 B&S Not starting after running outta fuel
Hi all...

I bought a "new" tractor for my place up north. I got a good deal on it and it runs great. BUT(isn't there always?) the other day I ran out of gas. I filled it up, but it won't start again. I'm sure there's spark, there's no obstruction from the carb to the tank and I changed the fuel filter. I can start it and it will run as long as I'm manually squirting gas directly into the throat. It has a four screw Briggs and Stratton carb. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

hrdman2luv

Threads
Hi all...

I bought a "new" tractor for my place up north. I got a good deal on it and it runs great. BUT(isn't there always?) the other day I ran out of gas. I filled it up, but it won't start again. I'm sure there's spark, there's no obstruction from the carb to the tank and I changed the fuel filter. I can start it and it will run as long as I'm manually squirting gas directly into the throat. It has a four screw Briggs and Stratton carb. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Does it have a solenoid at the bottom of the carb? If so, then that's probably your problem. If not, then you probably need to clean ithe carb out. Maybe a rebuild.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the fuel pump, to make sure you are getting fuel from the tank to the carb. Remove the hose at the carb and see if the pump has any output while cranking.

Squawk7700

Threads
Check the fuel pump, to make sure you are getting fuel from the tank to the carb. Remove the hose at the carb and see if the pump has any output while cranking.

The fuel pump is integral to the carb. There is no blockage between the tank and the carb inlet. I pulled the pump diaphragm out...are these known to go bad? It looks like it's "stretched"...Like I said, it runs fine as long as I'm pouring gas into it...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that fuel system I would say you should start by rebuilding the fuel pump. You must remember I'm not there to see what's happening. This is a difficult one,because this fuel system has parts built together that could lead you in the wrong direction. It could also be something as simple as a stuck float needle valve, but remember I'm not there and can't offer much more at this point.

Squawk7700

Threads
With that fuel system I would say you should start by rebuilding the fuel pump. You must remember I'm not there to see what's happening. This is a difficult one,because this fuel system has parts built together that could lead you in the wrong direction. It could also be something as simple as a stuck float needle valve, but remember I'm not there and can't offer much more at this point.

I simply went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit from B&S....#693503.

Not my month for carbs. I've got a 73 MGB and just finished rebuilding the dual SU carbs in THAT!lol! Never rebuild a lawnmower carb. Any special things to look for rebuilding or "tuning"? Thanks!

Squawk7700

Threads
Thanks for the link! Got my rebuild kit and after a good cleaning, put everything back together and fired right up. I don't know exactly what the issue was...no signs of a plugged jet so I'm thinking the pump diaphragm may have been worn and stretched to the point that it wasn't drawing enough vacuum to pull fuel through. Fixed just in time to move it from the garage to the storage shed for winter!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once you have it in the shed, run it dry. Leaving fuel in the unit over Wisconsin winters, especially if you are using fuel with ethanol, will cause you problems next spring. Just my way of storing.