2002 MTD Yard Machine 42" 18hp B&S Won't start

mooseman

Forum Newbie
I have a 2002 MTD Yard Machine with a B&S 18 hp. with an electrical problem I think. When trying to start I am lucky if I get one full crank. Battery seems good. + and Grnd wires get quite hot. I even went direct to the starter with jumper cables from an auto battery. Still won't crank. Changed starter motors. still the same. Last time it ran it was running fine with no vibration and plenty of power. I have not hit anything to cause the crank key to shear. Any ideas out there? I would surely appreciate it. Thanks
 
Try removing the spark plg and crank it. It might be "hydro-locked" with fuel in the cylinder. Also check your oil level for being too high. If this is the case, you need to clean/rebuild your carb.
 
I have a 2002 MTD Yard Machine with a B&S 18 hp. with an electrical problem I think. When trying to start I am lucky if I get one full crank. Battery seems good. + and Grnd wires get quite hot. I even went direct to the starter with jumper cables from an auto battery. Still won't crank. Changed starter motors. still the same. Last time it ran it was running fine with no vibration and plenty of power. I have not hit anything to cause the crank key to shear. Any ideas out there? I would surely appreciate it. Thanks

Have you figured this out yet?
I have the same problem. I'm gon,na swap engines with a 14.5 hp.
 
What kind of compression reading did you get? You could have both problems: Hydraulic Lock (gas in cylinder) or Valves out of adjustment causing too much resistance. Like the other mechanic said about too much gas in the oil would be needle/seat issue letting gas flow down into the cylinder. I don't think I'd be looking at replacing an engine at this point until I did some more investigation as to why. The Ground Wire getting ~~HOT~~ would indicate too much current draw on the starter from resistance or loose connections. Might check the ground wire for clean and tight contacts. Good Luck with it. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top