Buying Advice 2002 John Deere LX277 vs 2016 John Deere D155

Willie742

Forum Newbie
I am currently in the market to buy a lawn tractor to take care of about 1.5 acres. A friend is selling an older 2002 John Deere LX277 for $1,500. I have read a lot of the dealer versus Big Box posts and understand there are differences in quality between the 2, depending on the different series. I also know that the LX277 was a solidly built tractor with a good transmission. Here is my question, does it make sense to pay $1,500 for a 14 year old tractor with 700 hours, when you can buy a new John Deere D155 tractor for $600 more, even if it is from one of the Big Box stores and may not have been built with the same quality parts as the 14 year old tractor?
 
The D155 doesn't even compare to the LX277 but I would try talking them down on price. $1500 seems to be a fair deal after a quick search though.
 
Back
Top