2002 conquest deck cut height...

drmax

Threads
Hello. I've been through this with a dealer and need to make a change. My deck is a 50". I can only get about 3" of deck height outta it. I have made all the proper adjustments, air pressure, etc. All is good until about late June then due to the grass height, it browns out and dies. Neighbor uses a zero turn (whatever brand) and he keeps it over 4". His grass looks pretty darn good all year. Ok, so I'm not trying to keep up with the Jones's, however I'm not going to have dead grass another season. Do they make a garden tractor like I have, that gets a higher cut? I tow my airplane (1100 lbs) frequently, is why I'd like to keep a tractor and not deal with a zero turn. I also have some fairly steep slopes.
So what the deal? I'm ready to make a change, but don't know what to buy. Yes, I very studious on grass seed, water and fertilizer. Those are not the issue.
Thx, Greg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello. I've been through this with a dealer and need to make a change. My deck is a 50". I can only get about 3" of deck height outta it. I have made all the proper adjustments, air pressure, etc. All is good until about late June then due to the grass height, it browns out and dies. Neighbor uses a zero turn (whatever brand) and he keeps it over 4". His grass looks pretty darn good all year. Ok, so I'm not trying to keep up with the Jones's, however I'm not going to have dead grass another season. Do they make a garden tractor like I have, that gets a higher cut? I tow my airplane (1100 lbs) frequently, is why I'd like to keep a tractor and not deal with a zero turn. I also have some fairly steep slopes. So what the deal? I'm ready to make a change, but don't know what to buy. Yes, I very studious on grass seed, water and fertilizer. Those are not the issue. Thx, Greg

Can you post your model numbers so we can pull up a Diagram.

I do not know how often you cut your grass. Maybe cut it more often.

The way I look at it is grass should never look like it needs to be cut.
You can keep it at 2 to 3 inches if you cut it when your only going to remove 1/2 a inch. The rule is never remove more then 1/3 of the height. My rule is I trim my grass not cut it

Threads
Hello. I've been through this with a dealer and need to make a change. My deck is a 50". I can only get about 3" of deck height outta it. I have made all the proper adjustments, air pressure, etc. All is good until about late June then due to the grass height, it browns out and dies. Neighbor uses a zero turn (whatever brand) and he keeps it over 4". His grass looks pretty darn good all year. Ok, so I'm not trying to keep up with the Jones's, however I'm not going to have dead grass another season. Do they make a garden tractor like I have, that gets a higher cut? I tow my airplane (1100 lbs) frequently, is why I'd like to keep a tractor and not deal with a zero turn. I also have some fairly steep slopes.
So what the deal? I'm ready to make a change, but don't know what to buy. Yes, I very studious on grass seed, water and fertilizer. Those are not the issue.
Thx, Greg

Do you have the manual, or know what the max height adjustment is for your tractor? I raise mine all the way up, and then adjust it to 4 inches, and the front edge 1/4th to 1/2 inch lower than the rear. If you could even get 3.5 inches of height out of it that would be good enough for dry summer weather mowing.

tybilly

Threads
I used to work at the simp dealer in auburn and Ft.Wayne up there,and I cant figure out why you cant get 4 inches of height adjustment or more from the conquest deck,..nothing is bent? or bound up on the rear rollers?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure operation of lowering and raising deck is smooth on both sides. Also make sure bolts are tight but not too tight as to interfere with operation of lowering and raising deck. Suggestion: Apply grease to all moving parts on deck with small paint brush, you will see an improvement in operation of lowering and raising deck. You will also need to lubricate hard to get to moving parts with oil squirt gun or spray lubricant. Another suggestion: If you have the time remove deck, pop off one end cap holding roller bar assembly, you will have to figure which one end cap to remove because roller bar will slide out one way only, use pliers on end cap by pulling gently so you can reuse cap. Clean roller bar with scotch brite pad, and clean all rollers. You might want to number rollers before removing them as well as direction rollers face, this will speed up reassembly. After cleaning roller bar, apply grease to bar using small paint brush, install bar in deck, rollers, and end cap with rubber mallet or tap on gently with hammer making sure it does not move, re-install deck.

Last edited: