2000 Series Chassis Lube

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Attached is the lube chart for my 2140 AGS. The red arrow points to the steering mechanism. It indicates there are TWO grease zerks. I can only find one; the one that lubes the thru shaft.

Anyone (bert?) know if there IS a second zerk, and if there is, how do you get to it?

Thanks.

IMG_2707_LI.jpg
 
Some steering stems have a grease nipple that is near impossible to get at under the dash tower.
When I can't find one I get an IPL then look for a nipple on it.
No nipple = smear grease ( spray with dry lithium grease )
 
Mine is one of the first year's production, so I'd guess there is a nipple back there.

But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to grease it. I tried this morning just to feel it and failed. Even if I could have felt it, there would be no way to get a grease gun on it, unless they make a flex hose with a right-angle head.

Since I'm the original owner, I know it's been 25 years without grease. The front zerk gets greased regularly.

If it has two zerks, are they both on the same side?
 
Thanks for the link! Mine's a 1994 but I found an illustration that shows two grease zerks in Figure 5-17, page 5-38.
 
Part number 737-3000 there are 3 of them on the front cross member
Part number 737-0224 on the front wheels, 1 each.
Part number 737-3000 on the bottom plate of the steering one either end.
 
Success, at last.

The key is, both zerks are not on the RH side, as shown in the picture. The aft zerk is on the LH side and can't be seen without an inspection mirror. But it can be reached with a flex hose. I took out the battery but I'm not sure that's necessary.
 
I'm sure that finding that zerk and greasing after 25 years it falls under the category of BFWOT, but it became a quest. The little flanged brass bushing that it lubricates has probably been worn out for about 22 of those years, having missed its first 66 greasings.
 
Back
Top