20 hp v-twin only runs on one cylinder

Beel61

Forum Newbie
Threads
we need the model number of the engine to help u out :confused2:

It is Model TVT691.................took the valve cover off, everything looks to be functioning properly........took the carb off the cylinder that is not firing......looks very clean......

There is a few wires going to the float bowl, I am assuming some type of safety shut off ??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is Model TVT691.................took the valve cover off, everything looks to be functioning properly........took the carb off the cylinder that is not firing......looks very clean...... There is a few wires going to the float bowl, I am assuming some type of safety shut off ??

The wires go to the anti backfire solinoid
One wire is ground the other is 12volts.

Make shire power is getting to it when the keys is in the run spot.

Beel61

Forum Newbie
Threads
The wires go to the anti backfire solinoid
One wire is ground the other is 12volts.

Make shire power is getting to it when the keys is in the run spot.

just curious how an anti-backfire solenoid works ?? from the float bowl ??

The parts book calls this a fuel shut off solenoid.....I am going to switch the bowls and see if this is the problem

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bee, when you looked at the valve system did you look at the guide positions-if they both stuck out above the head the same distance?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
just curious how an anti-backfire solenoid works ?? from the float bowl ?? The parts book calls this a fuel shut off solenoid.....I am going to switch the bowls and see if this is the problem

They are both the same thing and are there for the same reason.

It cuts fuel off from leaving the bowl and going into the engine.

A backfire happens when you shut the key off and the engine makes a few turns shutting done letting gas into the cyl.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are both the same thing and are there for the same reason.

It cuts fuel off from leaving the bowl and going into the engine.

A backfire happens when you shut the key off and the engine makes a few turns shutting done letting gas into the cyl.

More precisely, letting gas get into the muffler...... The newer/quieter muffler have a lot more red hot baffles in them which ignite the excess gas fumes after shutting down. That is why the older engines did not have the solenoid.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
More precisely, letting gas get into the muffler...... The newer/quieter muffler have a lot more red hot baffles in them which ignite the excess gas fumes after shutting down. That is why the older engines did not have the solenoid.

Thank you that is a much better explanation.

Rokon

Threads
Don't know if you found your answer but...

These engines have two coils. If you find that one coil pack is dead, you had better replace the other as well because it will fail muy pronto!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
just curious how an anti-backfire solenoid works ?? from the float bowl ??

The parts book calls this a fuel shut off solenoid.....I am going to switch the bowls and see if this is the problem

And like the after burners in our cars which we call "catalytic converters" insted of "afterburners" which is what they really are just in case Joe Public starts to wonder why they are paying good money for fuel that ends being burned after it has left their engine.
The anti- backfire valve is actually to comply with idiot California EPA total emission regulations .
Because the stop switch stops the spark but the engine continues to rotate for 5 or 6 revolutions and your engine will pump out 5 or 6 cylinder full of air fuel mix which will of course will cause all life on the planet to immediately cease to exist.

Beel61

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is Model TVT691.................took the valve cover off, everything looks to be functioning properly........took the carb off the cylinder that is not firing......looks very clean......

There is a few wires going to the float bowl, I am assuming some type of safety shut off ??

Ok, it's spring, back to working on this thing......the Engine Model # is.....TVT691 600401A.........