20 HP lawnmower difficulty cranking

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When properly adjusting valves spark plugs should be removed so pencil etc. can be inserted into spark plug hole touching top of piston while rotating top screen clockwise until TDC { piston is at top dead center } can be located at top of stroke & both intake & exhaust valves are closed & both rocker arms are loose. Adjust intake & exhaust valves per specs. in Engine Manual. Engine should be cold when adjusting valves. On twin cylinder engine move to opposite side & rotate engine clockwise after inserting pencil into spark plug hole until TDC is reached. On B&S engines manuals state 1/4" past TDC. A slight drag should be felt when inserting feeler gauge between rocker arm & push rod. Recheck with feeler gauge after torqueing jam nuts per specs. in manual.
Specifically, use TDC on the compression stroke. Near the time the plug fires off.

slomo

Gescha

Threads
Specifically, use TDC on the compression stroke. Near the time the plug fires off.

slomo
I had the same problem with my gxv620 on a Hustler zero turn mower. The problem of your starter has nothing to do with valve lash. The fix for my problem was to replace the starter solenoid. Honda refers to it as a starter switch. To be perfectly clear it can also be a problem with your ignition switch. But I would be willing to bet that is the same as I encountered with the starter solenoid. Hope this helps.

gamma_ray

Threads
I had the same problem with my gxv620 on a Hustler zero turn mower. The problem of your starter has nothing to do with valve lash. The fix for my problem was to replace the starter solenoid. Honda refers to it as a starter switch. To be perfectly clear it can also be a problem with your ignition switch. But I would be willing to bet that is the same as I encountered with the starter solenoid. Hope this helps.

gamma_ray

Threads
Thanks for replying,

I've isolated everything except the starter solenoid. For now the rubber mallet works everytime, rapping it while holding the key to "start". Starts just fine when doing this.

Is the solenoid sold separately from the starter? I'm tired of buying the whole thing.

Gamma

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can buy a complete after market starter for a lot less than the Honda Starter solenoid alone. But if you insist then the answer is yes the solenoid is available separately.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
OEM Honda parts are obviously better than Chinese Gambler Series parts. We see it here all the time. Chinese parts won't last like Honda parts will or should.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When the product comes with an one year warranty I don't consider it low quality. Besides most the DB Electrical Kohler starters I sell are the same OEM starters (J&N starters) just without the Kohler OEM markups. With the quality of those starters I would have no problem in installing one of their Honda starters. Matter of fact I got the same GXV620 starter siting on the shelf right now awaiting a customer pickup.

J&N 410-52076 is the same starter for the Honda 31200-ZJ4-831, 31200-ZJ4-832 starters.

gamma_ray

Threads
You can buy a complete after market starter for a lot less than the Honda Starter solenoid alone. But if you insist then the answer is yes the solenoid is available separately.
I think that is the whole problem, the current starter, an aftermarket one I bought earlier this year, has had this problem since I put it on. I did find another solenoid, from a prior starter I had, connected it to a battery, tested it and it seems to work. I may replace my current one with it and see what happens.

gamma_ray

Threads
OEM Honda parts are obviously better than Chinese Gambler Series parts. We see it here all the time. Chinese parts won't last like Honda parts will or should.
This Hustler Honda engine has surely sold me on that! Bought it in late 2003 and runs as well as when new, other than the starter issue of course. The only thing I've done to the engine itself was routine maintenance, replacement of the obvious wear items, air filter, plugs, fuel filter, and the flywheel fan that succumbed to years of southern US summer heat. Oh, I also adjusted the valve clearance as someone suggested that may be a reason it wasn't turning over.

Since I've found a gas station that offers 100% gasoline, that's all I've run in all my small engines. I've never even had to remove the carb as it's never given me any reason to. Last year I bought a brush cutter and specifically looked for one with a Honda engine to, hopefully, stave off engine problems.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When the product comes with an one year warranty I don't consider it low quality. Besides most the DB Electrical Kohler starters I sell are the same OEM starters (J&N starters) just without the Kohler OEM markups. With the quality of those starters I would have no problem in installing one of their Honda starters. Matter of fact I got the same GXV620 starter siting on the shelf right now awaiting a customer pickup.

J&N 410-52076 is the same starter for the Honda 31200-ZJ4-831, 31200-ZJ4-832 starters.
Aren't J&N and DB electrical starters made by Arrowhead?