2 stroke or 4 cycle

2 stroke or 4 cycle

• Total voters

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
The award-winning STIHL four-stroke engine that runs on a petrol-oil mix. The STIHL 4-MIX engine thus combines the advantages of a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke. As well has having plenty of lugging power and perceptibly higher torque, the 4-MIX engine is also convincing in terms of lower emissions, low maintenance and a pleasant sound.

Clear advantages

• Fewer emissions: The fuel burns with very little in the way of residues and thus complies with the strict European exhaust emission limits, Stage II.
  • No oil servicing: Easy maintenance, as it uses the familiar fuel mix.
  • Lightweight: The mix-lubricated system avoids the need for components like an oil pump, sump and oil tank as on conventional four-strokes.
  • Lower noise threshold: Pleasant sound, even at high power.
  • Lugging power and high torque: Very good acceleration for plenty of power.

The thing is you better get use to it because it's the way of the future. Sooner than later you will not be able to find or buy a 2 stroke unit for sale because they will be phased out in favor of the new technology.

Dont get me wrong i have a 4mix i love it haha :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

possum

Threads
Im thinking the wave of the future is going to be electric.

Threads
Im thinking the wave of the future is going to be electric.

Yes I think that can happen but I think a longer-lasting battery will be needed if electric mowers want to move their way into the commercial lawn care field.
But there are some commercial operators that use smaller electric equipment...look here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/electric-battery-operated/13560-eco-friendly-mowing-service.html.

Here are some of the larger electric mowers out today:

Mean Green Products: Powerful Electric Products
Hustler Zeon: Hustler Turf Products - Electric Mowers - ZEON
Recharge Mower G2: Recharge Mower - Recharge Mower G2 Riding Mower

Mean Green ZTR.jpg Mean Green walk-behind.jpg hustler zeon.jpg G2 mower.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I think that can happen but I think a longer-lasting battery will be needed if electric mowers want to move their way into the commercial lawn care field.
But there are some commercial operators that use smaller electric equipment...look here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/electric-battery-operated/13560-eco-friendly-mowing-service.html.

Here are some of the larger electric mowers out today:

Mean Green Products: Powerful Electric Products
Hustler Zeon: Hustler Turf Products - Electric Mowers - ZEON
Recharge Mower G2: Recharge Mower - Recharge Mower G2 Riding Mower

11831-2-stroke-4-cycle-mean-green-ztr-jpg
11832-2-stroke-4-cycle-mean-green-walk-behind-jpg
11833-2-stroke-4-cycle-hustler-zeon-jpg
11830-2-stroke-4-cycle-g2-mower-jpg

The problem with the Electric mowers( ZTR, Riders,and WB as pictured ) is that they're not a cost effective substitute or solution for Lawn-care and never will be. They can't be used effectively for commercial work because they can't be used 8 to 10 hours a day the way some businesses run and there absolutely and ridiculously priced for the Homeowner.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You said you thought a longer-lasting battery will be needed if electric mowers want to move their way into commercial lawn care. not only a longer lasting battery but a faster charging system. The Zeon I think with the charger that comes with it takes like 24 hours to charge the batteries. At an extra cost you can buy the High Performance charger but it still takes 6 hours to charge and even that isn't effective or efficient.

Threads
The problem with the Electric mowers( ZTR, Riders,and WB as pictured ) is that they're not a cost effective substitute or solution for Lawn-care and never will be. They can't be used effectively for commercial work because they can't be used 8 to 10 hours a day the way some businesses run and there absolutely and ridiculously priced for the Homeowner.

You said you thought a longer-lasting battery will be needed if electric mowers want to move their way into commercial lawn care. not only a longer lasting battery but a faster charging system. The Zeon I think with the charger that comes with it takes like 24 hours to charge the batteries. At an extra cost you can buy the High Performance charger but it still takes 6 hours to charge and even that isn't effective or efficient.

That's true....I agree. I like your statement that says ".....and there absolutely and ridiculously priced for the Homeowner". I definitely agree on the RIDICULOUS part. $2,500 for a rear-engine rider?? Some of the gas RER's are like $1000 cheaper! For $2500 you can buy a really low end zero-turn mower or an OK lawn tractor. :rolleyes:
$2500 ZTR.jpg $2500 lawn tractor.jpg
(Yes I know the lawn tractor I picked was a little under $2500, it was the closest one I could find on Mowers Direct without going over.

aron33mc

Threads
For trimmers and such, two strokes are my choice. They seem to take a beating and keep going. Hard to break especially on tools that are used and abused. :)