Engine 2 replaced magnetos (ignition modules) on rider mower.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 2 replaced magnetos (ignition modules) on rider mower.
If you got the primary wire disconnected and the coil is installed right there is nothing else unless there is a ignition timing module.

hrdman2luv

Threads
If you got the primary wire disconnected and the coil is installed right there is nothing else unless there is a ignition timing module.

Keep in mind, it acts like there's a short, because it cuts out real bad when I hit bumps.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to check all wiring," hands on", making sure everything is tight and secure, especially ground wires & straps. Also check for corrosion, rust, bare wires. Let us know what you find, thanks.

hrdman2luv

Threads
You need to check all wiring," hands on", making sure everything is tight and secure, especially ground wires & straps. Also check for corrosion, rust, bare wires. Let us know what you find, thanks.

I checked all the wires and safety switches. All seemed ok..

But, here's what I did find. I put a normal test light (clipped to the negative post on the battery) and stuck it into the plug wire. (The end of the plug wire disconnected from the plug)... The darn thing fired right up. The cylinder that was still connected to the plug ran like normal. When I disconnected the test light from the plug wire, it died.

So, only when grounding out the plug wire, does the magneto send fire to the plugs.

Where the magneto is mounted, is clean. I have a separate ground wire going from the block to the frame. (a pretty big one)

BTW, one thing I need to check... I didn't have the ground plug connected to the magneto when I was using the test light as the ground.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I just received a new coil. Debating on whether or not to put it on. Because I still get spark into the plugs, at certain times. Like when I connect the test light to the plug wire.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just received a new coil. Debating on whether or not to put it on. Because I still get spark into the plugs, at certain times. Like when I connect the test light to the plug wire.

You might just as well use the new coil you own it. Anyplace I ever did business with wouldn't take back any electrical parts.

hrdman2luv

Threads
You might just as well use the new coil you own it. Anyplace I ever did business with wouldn't take back any electrical parts.

I guess I'm just scared that it's not the coil that's causing the problem. After all, when I ground one of the unplugged plug wires, the other one fires like crazy. And when I switch the ground wire to the other plug wire, and connect the first one, it fires like it's supposed to... And regularly, they'll both fire for a second or 2.

hntrsr

Threads
Check the magneto ground. Measure the resistance between the plug and ground. Shoild read about 7k ohms.
Check for voltage on the kill wire with it disconnected the the ignition on.Should read no voltage
Check the resistance of kill wire to ground. Should read infinity.
Check kill wire for loops. there should be no loops even one.
If all check out it should be safe to replace magneto

hrdman2luv

Threads
Check the magneto ground. Measure the resistance between the plug and ground. Shoild read about 7k ohms.
Check for voltage on the kill wire with it disconnected the the ignition on.Should read no voltage
Check the resistance of kill wire to ground. Should read infinity.
Check kill wire for loops. there should be no loops even one.
If all check out it should be safe to replace magneto

Thanks for that... One more question (Because it's raining and can't get out there and do anything today) The end of the magnets (on the flywheel) aren't flush with the flywheel. They actually stick inward about 1/4". Should they be flush with the edge of the fly wheel? They don't appear to be chipped or broken. And my small wrench will stick to it pretty good..

Engine model number 42E707-2631-E3. On the diagram, from Parts direct, they don't list the magnet as an actual part. So I might have to buy (If needed) the whole flywheel... Over $200.. WOW

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say the magnet is fine, as long as it isn't hitting anything. Each end of the secondary winding in that coil connects to a spark plug. What you are seeing indicates there is a problem with the secondary winding. Replaced the coil and make sure there isn't a short some place that is sending power to the ground plug on the coil.

had one a few years ago that would only fire with one wire disconnected.